Downward force of the plane problem

In summary, the pilot tends to black out when pulling out of a steep dive due to the forces associated with circular motion, specifically Newton's first law. The downward force of the plane causes the blood to be pushed away from the brain, resulting in loss of consciousness.
aaronb

Homework Statement

why does a pilot tend to black out when pulling out of a steep dive?

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the pilot passes out because the downward force of the plane pushes all the blood away from his brain and causes him to pass out.

I read the rules of this forum so I don't expect an answer. But please push me in the right direction because I know I am forgetting something.

Physics news on Phys.org

aaronb said:
I think the pilot passes out because the downward force of the plane pushes all the blood away from his brain and causes him to pass out.

Almost. But I don't think the plane is pushing down. What forces are associated with circular motion, because it's the pulling out of a dive, you know a radius and a high speed, as the pilots say "pulling G's". How is that force directed may be more to your interest?

aaronb said:
why does a pilot tend to black out when pulling out of a steep dive?

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws

Hi aaronb! :smile:

I think it's more Newton's first law …

if you bounce off a trampoline, what does your blood "want" to do? :wink:

1. What is the downward force of a plane in flight?

The downward force of a plane in flight is known as its weight, which is caused by the gravitational pull of the Earth. This force is balanced by the upward force of lift generated by the wings.

2. How is the downward force of a plane calculated?

The downward force of a plane can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F represents the force, m represents the mass of the plane, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula applies to objects at a constant speed and altitude.

3. Does the downward force of a plane change during takeoff and landing?

Yes, the downward force of a plane changes during takeoff and landing. When the plane is on the ground, its weight is supported by its landing gear and is not affected by lift. As the plane gains speed and takes off, the downward force increases due to the increase in air resistance. During landing, the downward force decreases as the plane slows down and the lift force decreases.

4. How does the downward force of a plane affect its fuel consumption?

The downward force of a plane has a direct impact on its fuel consumption. The heavier the plane is, the more fuel it will require to maintain its level of thrust and stay airborne. This is why aircraft must carefully manage their weight and balance to optimize fuel efficiency.

5. Can the downward force of a plane be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as weather conditions and air traffic can affect the downward force of a plane. Strong winds or turbulence can increase the downward force, making it more difficult for the plane to maintain its altitude. Additionally, air traffic can cause changes in altitude and speed, which can also affect the downward force of a plane.