Drag coefficient for plate perpendicular to airflow

In summary, the drag coefficient for a flat plate perpendicular to flow (2D) is typically between 1.98-2.05. However, for a plate with a different b/h ratio (h=157mm, b=816mm, b/h=5.197), the Reynolds number and flow conditions (laminar or turbulent) may not matter as much. It is recommended to find a reference with similar measurements for the most accurate drag coefficient calculation.
cxcxcx0505
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient
from wikipedia, it is written 1.98-2.05 for flat plate perpendicular to flow(2D) , but I have a differrent b/h ratio plate, where h=157mm and b=816mm , b/h=5.197

how to get the drag coefficient in this case?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are your flow conditions?

Laminar? Turbulent?

Are we just talking about ambient air? or God blowing on the plate... =)

Give me the Reynolds number and I can help you out.

Cheers =)

For a plate perpendicular to the flow the reynolds number will not matter much. That wikipedia page gave a Cd for a 3d flat plate and you will probably be ok using that. Otherwise there is not an easy way to figure this out, your best bet would be to find some reference with similar measurements

harrisiqbal said:
What are your flow conditions?

Laminar? Turbulent?

Are we just talking about ambient air? or God blowing on the plate... =)

Give me the Reynolds number and I can help you out.

Cheers =)

Given that this is going to be entirely pressure drag, the state of the flow (laminar vs. turbulent) won't matter a bit. The only thing that could potentially play a role in would be the nature of the vortices that would be shed behind the plate, but the aft side is going to be massively separated and emitting vortex streets regardless.

Apologies,

Did not properly read OPs question. I thought he was talking about parallel flow on plate.

Whoops =)

What is the drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow?

The drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of drag force to the dynamic pressure of the fluid flow. It is typically denoted by the symbol "Cd" and is an important parameter in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics.

How is the drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow calculated?

The drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow can be calculated using the formula: Cd = Drag Force / (Dynamic Pressure * Area). The drag force can be calculated using experimental data or by using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. The dynamic pressure is the product of the fluid density, flow velocity, and the square of the flow velocity.

What factors affect the drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow?

The drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow is influenced by various factors such as the shape and size of the plate, the flow velocity, the fluid properties, and the surface roughness of the plate. The angle of attack, which is the angle between the plate and the flow direction, also affects the drag coefficient.

How does the drag coefficient change with different shapes of plates?

The drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow can vary depending on the shape of the plate. In general, streamlined shapes, such as airfoils, have lower drag coefficients compared to blunt shapes. This is because streamlined shapes are designed to minimize the drag force by reducing the size and intensity of the turbulent wake behind the plate.

What is the significance of the drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow?

The drag coefficient for a plate perpendicular to airflow is an important parameter in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics. It is used to predict the drag force on different objects, such as airplanes, cars, and buildings, and to design more efficient and streamlined shapes. It also plays a crucial role in the performance and efficiency of various engineering systems.