Drag (Turbulent Flow) Question

In summary, the conversation discussed a projectile of mass 0.1 kg traveling horizontally through the air with a drag force that is proportional to the square of its velocity. At one instant, the projectile's speed was measured to be 100 m/s and the task was to calculate its speed after 3 seconds. The conversation covered the use of Newton's second law, integrating the drag force and solving for the final velocity, taking into account the initial velocity. The final answer was found to be 57.7 m/s.
craig.16

Homework Statement

A projectile of mass 0.1 kg traveling horizontally through the air with speed v(t) experiences
a drag force DT (t) whose magnitude is given by:
D (t ) 0.001 [v (t )] 2
At one instant, the projectile’s speed is measured to be 100 m/s. Calculate the speed of the
projectile after a time of 3 s has elapsed, during which the projectile continues to travel
horizontally.

Homework Equations

D(T)=1/2*C*(rho)*A*(v^2) or D(T)=b(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried inputting the the speed into the given equation and got D(T)= 10. Other than that I don't know what else to do. I used the equation:
v=sqrt(mg/b)*(tanh((t)sqrt(bg/m)) which gave me 23m/s but that seems rather unlikely as it couldn't have dropped 77m/s in 3 seconds. Also this equation is for vertical not horizontal so it is most likely wrong anyway but I don't know how to properly approach this question. Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
craig.16 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile of mass 0.1 kg traveling horizontally through the air with speed v(t) experiences
a drag force DT (t) whose magnitude is given by:
D (t ) 0.001 [v (t )] 2
At one instant, the projectile’s speed is measured to be 100 m/s. Calculate the speed of the
projectile after a time of 3 s has elapsed, during which the projectile continues to travel
horizontally.

The only force acting on the projectile is the drag force. Try to use Newton's second Law:
[tex] F=ma[/tex]
or, in terms of velocity:
[tex] F=m \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Then you can divide the force by the mass, multiply by dt, divide by v2 and integrate both sides. Make sure you make the drag force negative.

That seems to make a lot more sense thanks. However its the dividing by v^2 that throws me off a bit. Am I taking D(T) as F but negative because if so I used my value of (-10) and got an even smaller answer but only due to the division of v^2 as I don't know specifically where that gets divided from. Otherwise I would get a massive decrease. To make things sound less confusing I did the following:

F=D(T)

-10=0.1(dv/dt)
-100dt=dv
integrating both sides I get:
-100t=v
v=-100(3)=-300m/s

At what point did I go wrong?

craig.16 said:
That seems to make a lot more sense thanks. However its the dividing by v^2 that throws me off a bit. Am I taking D(T) as F but negative because if so I used my value of (-10) and got an even smaller answer but only due to the division of v^2 as I don't know specifically where that gets divided from. Otherwise I would get a massive decrease. To make things sound less confusing I did the following:

F=D(T)

-10=0.1(dv/dt)
-100dt=dv
integrating both sides I get:
-100t=v
v=-100(3)=-300m/s

At what point did I go wrong?

Your mistake was D(t)=-10

D is a function of t, and changes as time goes on.

Think of it this way:
As the drag force is applied, it slows the object down; as the object slows, the drag force decreases.

Therefore when you substitute it into the equation, F=ma, you need to substitute it in as the function, -D(t)=-0.001v(t)2
(I made it negative because the force is going to be negative)

This gives you the equation:
[tex]-0.001v(t)^{2}=m \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Once you solve for v(t), you can then use your initial value of v(0)=100.

Am I right by saying that it gets rearanged and integrated to:
-0.01v(t)^2t=v(0)
If so its the minus sign that ruins it when it comes to square rooting the answer unless I have to take into account imaginary numbers which I am pretty sure I don't need to. I tried with it being positive and I got 57.7m/s which is more realistic as compared to my previous attempt. Also note that I have divided the mass already hence the -0.01 instead of -0.001. Finally if I have done something stupid am I at least right in thinking that v(t)^2 is not the same as v*(t)^2 as v is a function of t like f(x) and y. Apologies if this feels like pretty trivial stuff.

craig.16 said:
Am I right by saying that it gets rearanged and integrated to:
-0.01v(t)^2t=v(0)
If so its the minus sign that ruins it when it comes to square rooting the answer unless I have to take into account imaginary numbers which I am pretty sure I don't need to. I tried with it being positive and I got 57.7m/s which is more realistic as compared to my previous attempt. Also note that I have divided the mass already hence the -0.01 instead of -0.001. Finally if I have done something stupid am I at least right in thinking that v(t)^2 is not the same as v*(t)^2 as v is a function of t like f(x) and y. Apologies if this feels like pretty trivial stuff.

Something went wrong with your rearranging and integrating.

When you rearrange the function, you get:
[tex] -0.001dt=m\frac{dv}{v^2} [/tex]

Now integrate both sides, and add an arbitrary constant, C, to either side (it does not matter which side)

Now solve for v(t). (Get v alone on one side of the equation)

Next, using the fact that v(0)=100, solve for C.

Finally, find v(3).

You should find an answer of:
25m/s, so don't be alarmed when the projectile lost 3/4 of its speed in 3 seconds, the drag coefficient used here was quite high.

Yeah I realize that I stupidly forgot to carry over the v^2. after integrating properly this time around I got the answer. Thanks for taking the time to help me with my question.

1. What is drag in turbulent flow?

Drag is a force that resists the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. In turbulent flow, this force is caused by the chaotic and irregular movement of the fluid particles around the object.

2. How is drag calculated in turbulent flow?

The calculation of drag in turbulent flow is complex and depends on various factors, including the shape and size of the object, the properties of the fluid, and the velocity of the object. It is typically calculated using mathematical models and computer simulations.

3. What are the factors that affect drag in turbulent flow?

The factors that affect drag in turbulent flow include the shape and size of the object, the properties of the fluid (such as density and viscosity), the velocity of the object, and the roughness of the surface of the object.

4. How can drag be reduced in turbulent flow?

There are several ways to reduce drag in turbulent flow, including changing the shape of the object to minimize its surface area, smoothing out the surface of the object to reduce turbulence, and using streamlined designs to redirect the flow of the fluid around the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding drag in turbulent flow?

Understanding drag in turbulent flow is crucial in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, automotive design, and sports. It helps in designing more efficient and streamlined vehicles and equipment, improving aerodynamics and performance, and reducing fuel consumption and emissions.