Drawing Curves with Conic Sections: A Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to draw various types of curves using a combination of line, circle, ellipse, parabola, hyperbola, and straight lines. The speaker mentions that while it may not be possible to achieve 100% precision using only conic curves, they can still be approximated. They also mention wanting to create a curve from a blank sheet and discuss using two points and tangent lines to construct a continuous, smooth, and conic curve. The conversation concludes by mentioning the use of CAD software and the geometric principles behind constructing curves manually.
Bruno Tolentino
I'd like of draw any curve using combination of line circle, elipse, parabola, hyperbola and straight. Of course several curves can't be designed with 100% of precision using just conic curves, but, can to be approximated.

Acttualy, I don't want to reproduce a curve already designed but yes produce a curve from of white sheet.

I think that the most intuitive idea is choice two or more points (let's choose just two points, the start and the end) and in these points, specify the line tangent, see:

?temp_hash=d1bea885bdcf5dce2990af47f63b7301.png

So, how can I complete the path from A to B with a continuous, smooth and conic curve?

Attachments

• 08.png
    08.png
    567 bytes · Views: 494
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't say whether you want a mathematical solution or just a bit of practical drawing .

If the latter get yourself some simple CAD software . Most versions have a comprehensive range of curve fitting functions . Not only simple curve fitting but often several varieties of spline fitting as well .

Bruno Tolentino said:
I'd like of draw any curve using combination of line circle, elipse, parabola, hyperbola and straight. Of course several curves can't be designed with 100% of precision using just conic curves, but, can to be approximated.

Acttualy, I don't want to reproduce a curve already designed but yes produce a curve from of white sheet.

I think that the most intuitive idea is choice two or more points (let's choose just two points, the start and the end) and in these points, specify the line tangent, see:

?temp_hash=d1bea885bdcf5dce2990af47f63b7301.png

So, how can I complete the path from A to B with a continuous, smooth and conic curve?
With the two arbitrary points as shown and the tangents at each, you can construct a circular arc connecting A and B.

These types of constructions are essentially geometric in principle and used to be taught when drafting was a manual skill, not dependent on the use of CAD.

For the problem as shown, you want to draw two additional lines, one perpendicular to each tangent at points A and B. The intersection of these two perpendiculars will lie at another point C, which will be the center of the circular arc connecting A and B.

There is an infinite set of curves you can draw that connect the two points A,B
And at each point inbetween the curve can be given the value of tangent on that curve and the curvature of the curve on that point..

What are conic sections?

Conic sections are geometric shapes that are formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. The four main types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

What are the different methods for drawing curves with conic sections?

There are several methods for drawing curves with conic sections, including using the focus-directrix definition, using the distance and midpoint formulas, and using the parametric equations.

How do I identify the type of conic section from its equation?

The type of conic section can be determined by the coefficients and constants in its equation. For example, if the equation is in the form Ax^2 + By^2 + C = 0, it is a circle if A = B, an ellipse if A and B have different values, a parabola if one of the variables is missing, and a hyperbola if A and B have opposite signs.

What is the importance of conic sections in mathematics and science?

Conic sections have many real-world applications, such as in physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are also used in mathematical proofs and problem-solving, and have historical significance in the development of mathematics.

Are there any useful tips for drawing curves with conic sections?

One tip is to always start by plotting the center or focus of the conic section, as well as its major and minor axes. Additionally, understanding the properties and characteristics of each type of conic section can help in accurately drawing its curve.