1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing Logic Gates

1. May 3, 2006 #1
    Drawing Logic Gates!!!!

hey guys,
    im new to this posting thing on this site......if any of u belong to bossgtcentral.com, i am xcortman there lol..... Anyway guys i am looking for a program that allows me to enter a boolean expression no matter how complicating it is and i want it to give me the Logic Gate diagram for it>>> If any of u guys could help me with this problem.... BD+AB/D/+AB/C
    where + is &.......and / is Not.....Any help will be appreciated>>>
    Thankyou
    jake
    :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I googled palasm free download, and got lots of hits:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=palasm+free+download

PALASM is an assembler for PALs and CPLDs. You code up your logic in ABLE or Verilog, and it compiles the code and generates the programming file (and the report file) for most PALs and CPLDs.

(EDIT -- The report file is where it will tell you how it has hooked up the logic gates in the PAL you have targeted.)

4. May 3, 2006 #3
    hey berkman,
    thankyou ill check it out!!!!!!
    PJ

5. May 3, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My interpretation is that he's looking for a program that will generate a schematic with explicit gate symbols from a given Boolean expression.

- Warren

6. May 3, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

True, but all I could think of was a CPLD compiler. And that only really helps him because of the constrained architecture of CPLDs. I wonder what he wants the generalized compiler for.... And if he doesn't care about how deep his resulting "sea of gates" is, he's going to have to learn about timing constraints and synchronous design, eh? :devil: :biggrin:

7. May 4, 2006 #6
    Well Berkeman,

I am not going into any serious designing at the moment....It is just for a bit of irritating homework i get everyother week...:rofl: I just need a program to help me generate a logic gate diagram when i enter the boolean expression....I hope u know what i mean now??????

Oh by the way i tried the program you sent me but nothing happens when i enter the folder and click on install......I must have downloaded the wrong one....
    :grumpy:

8. May 4, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there are some high-level tools that can produce a schematic from a gate-level netlist, which can be generated from RTL by a synthesizer.. but those are big guns (like the $10k a seat Cadence tools here at work). Hardly anyone uses such tools for things like that anyway, except incidentally. I don't know of any small programs that do the same thing; it's just not something one would normally want to do. Most people want to convert their complex views of a circuit into simpler views, not the other way around.

- Warren

9. May 7, 2006 #8
    Well it just so happens that my teacher wants me to do the thing the other way round. I think he does this because he wants us to get a sound understanding of the whole concept back to front...Anyway do you know a site that would at least teach me the steps in order to work the thing out>>>???
    Thanks

Cheers
    jake

10. May 7, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you're talking about an expression that has hundreds of terms, I don't see any reaon why you'd need software to help you with this.

- Warren

11. May 7, 2006 #10
    Oh well i guess it does not matter anymore. Ill just have to keep looking on google for a tutorial on this topic....

jake

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?