Mentor.com - What is 'Drift' in Strain Gauges?

• Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drift Strain
In summary, the conversation is discussing the topic of strain gauges and their tendency to deviate from the actual reading due to temperature variations, also known as 'drift'. The conversation then shifts to the topic of building a hovercraft that uses very little horsepower and the need for knowledge of wing shapes and contours, particularly in relation to Reynold's number. The conversation ends with a question about how to start a new thread in the correct sub-forum.
bill nye scienceguy!
when talking about strain gauges, what does 'drift' refer to exactly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Drift refers to a strain gauge's tendency to deviate from the actual reading due to variations in temperature. It is the main reason when selecting gauges for testing that they be as close to the parent material as possible.

thanks!

Lost in PF

Not sure if this is correct form but I have a question. I am building,(in the process of planning to build) a hovercraft. But not just a hovercraft, which is itself exciting enough, but one that uses very little horsepower to operate. I feel that I need a least a basic knowledge of wing shapes or contours, not sure the correct label, in order to design my device properly. This knowledge should link together Reynold's number with these shapes. Who can help me with this idea?

Normouse, you seem to have an off-centre idea of what a hovercraft is. If you're talking about wings, you probably have a WIGE (Wing In Ground Effect) vehicle in mind. That is a totally different animal.
By the bye, this should be a separate thread, since it has nothing to do with the original post.

New type of hovercraft

Maybe this is the wrong thread but I know exactly what a hovercraft is. How do I get on the correct thread?

Normouse said:
Maybe this is the wrong thread but I know exactly what a hovercraft is. How do I get on the correct thread?

You simply start a new thread under the appropriate sub-forum. If unsure, PM a mentor.

CS

What is drift in strain gauges?

Drift in strain gauges refers to the gradual change in the output signal of the gauge over time, even when there is no change in the applied strain. It is a type of measurement error that can affect the accuracy and reliability of strain gauge measurements.

What causes drift in strain gauges?

There are several factors that can cause drift in strain gauges, including changes in temperature, aging of materials, and mechanical stress. Additionally, manufacturing defects or improper installation can also contribute to drift.

How can drift in strain gauges be corrected?

The best way to correct for drift in strain gauges is to use a compensation method, such as zero balancing or temperature compensation. These methods involve adjusting the gauge or the measurement system to account for the drift and maintain accuracy.

Can drift be completely eliminated in strain gauge measurements?

While compensation methods can minimize the effects of drift, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate it. Some degree of drift is inherent in strain gauge measurements and can be influenced by external factors that are difficult to control.

How can I prevent drift in my strain gauge measurements?

To prevent or minimize drift in strain gauge measurements, it is important to carefully select and install the gauges, regularly calibrate and maintain the measurement system, and control external factors such as temperature and stress. Following best practices for strain gauge usage can also help reduce the impact of drift on measurements.