How Do You Calculate the Initial Velocity of Water from a Drinking Fountain?

• Thread starter hn13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the problem asks for the initial velocity of water exiting a drinking fountain spout. The equations used to solve for this velocity include V1x=V1cosΘ, V1y=V1sinΘ, and V2^2=V1^2+2ad. The student measured the distance traveled in the x-direction and the maximum height of the water, and used the kinematic formula to calculate V1y and the angle using the tan formula. However, they did not include units in their calculations and should be more careful with units in the future.
hn13

Homework Statement

Calculate the initial velocity at which water exits the spout of a common drinking fountain

Homework Equations

V1x=V1cosΘ Θ=tan-1 (opp/adj)
V1y=V1sinΘ

V2^2=V1^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I measured the total distance traveled by the water in the x-direction (dx), and I got 13.2 cm. I also measured the maximum height and got 8.8cm. I used the kinematic formula (V2y^2=V1y^2+2aydy), so I had:

V2y^2=V1y^2+2aydy
0=V1y^2+2(-9.8)(8.8)
V1y= 13.3 m/s

I calculated the angle using the tan formula, so I got:
Θ=tan-1(opp/adj)
Θ=tan-1 (8.8/6.6)
Θ=53 degrees

Since I had the angle and V1y, I used these two to get V1x:

tanΘ=V1y/V1x
V1xtan53=13.3
V1x= 9.89m/s

Then I just used the pythagorean theorem to solve for V1. Would my method be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are careless with your units and have omitted them from your calculations.
What are the units of g? What units were your measurements of the stream made in?

1. What is a Drinking Fountain Lab?

A Drinking Fountain Lab is a scientific experiment that involves testing various drinking fountains to determine the quality and safety of the water they dispense.

2. Why is a Drinking Fountain Lab important?

A Drinking Fountain Lab is important because it helps to ensure that the drinking water from fountains is safe for consumption. It also helps to identify any potential issues with the fountains that may need to be addressed.

3. How is a Drinking Fountain Lab conducted?

A Drinking Fountain Lab typically involves collecting water samples from different fountains and analyzing them for various contaminants or impurities. This can be done through chemical or microbiological testing.

4. What are the potential risks associated with drinking fountain water?

The potential risks associated with drinking fountain water include exposure to bacteria, viruses, and other harmful contaminants that can cause illness. These risks can be higher in public spaces where fountains are used by a large number of people.

5. What can be done to improve the safety of drinking fountains?

Regular maintenance and cleaning of drinking fountains can help to improve their safety. Installing filters or using UV light treatment can also help to reduce the presence of contaminants. Additionally, regular testing and monitoring of fountains can help to identify and address any issues promptly.