1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving a car

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are driving your car and you heavily apply the brakes for a period of 2.1 seconds. The car keeps moving for a distance of 14.6m before it completely stops.

What is the acceleration (in m/s2) experienced by the car? Is it truly "acceleration"?

2. Relevant equations

5 kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was using this : Δd=VfΔt-0.5aΔt2

14.6=0(2.1)-0.5a(2.12)
    14.6= 0-0.5a(4.41)

I don't know what to do after that, I don't know what to do with the part of the equation with the acceleration. Am I even using the right kinematic equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are using the right one! Note how you have a single equation with just one unknown, a - which is exactly what you're after.
    So much for the physics part, you need to pull out your mathematical skills now and solve the equation. First, try simplifying 0.5 * 4.41 and 0 - ....

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice the "0- " part. The acceleration will be negative. In everyday language we would call that "deceleration" but, technically, it is still a type of "acceleration".

5. Jan 21, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Copied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook