Dropping a tennis ball through the earth

In summary, a hypothetical scenario involving a tube passing through the center of the Earth and a dropped tennis ball leads to a discussion about the ball's movement and eventual stoppage at the center. The conversation includes considerations of torque and gravitational force, with the conclusion that gravity is zero at the center of the Earth due to the distribution of mass.
Milind_shyani
hi
i am confused since many days about this problem which goes as follows
suppose a tube that is longer than the diameter of the Earth is passed inside Earth such that its oother end comes right from the other side of the Earth and the tube passes through the center point of earth.that is suppose i am at the north pole and i pass that tube in the Earth and the tube passes trought the center point of earth.and the other end of the tube is at hte south pole.
now suppose that i drop a tennis ball in the tube at north pole. now will that ball come out from the tube at the south pole.my sir tells that it will come out from the tube at south pole. but i feel the ball will not come out.instead i feel that the ball would become stationary after it comes comes at the center. is my thinking right if right than how can we prove it.
please help me out. i feel it involes torque

Physics news on Phys.org
I would leave torque out of it. The ball will be in a very peculiar decaying orbit. It will pass right through the core, but not to quite as far away as it was dropped from, then fall back toward you. Again, it will stop short of the distance that it fell. Eventually, it will come to rest in the middle. Think of it somewhat like a swinging pendulum. I don't know the math involved.

Torque is not involved. Start by figuring out the gravitational acceleration of the ball as a function of distance from the center. Hint: If you assume a spherically symmetric earth, the gravitational force within the Earth at any distance r from the center depends only on the mass at points < r (the mass at points > r does not contribute to the gravitational force).

Why do you think the ball would stop at the center?

(Where and whether it stops depends on if you are ignoring friction/air resistance.)

Oops! I forgot the reply standard. Sorry, Doc. :redface:
Mind you, when I clicked on this thread, it wasn't in the Homework section.

Doc Al said:
Torque is not involved. Start by figuring out the gravitational acceleration of the ball as a function of distance from the center. Hint: If you assume a spherically symmetric earth, the gravitational force within the Earth at any distance r from the center depends only on the mass at points < r (the mass at points > r does not contribute to the gravitational force).

Why do you think the ball would stop at the center?

(Where and whether it stops depends on if you are ignoring friction/air resistance.)
respectedsir,
i am happy that you have contributed your time to my question.i am obviosly ignoring friction/air resisitance. but instead of torque let's think the other way out that when the ball reaches the center doesn't it stop there due to the gravity which is immense at the center

Milind_shyani said:
i am obviosly ignoring friction/air resisitance.
Nothing is obvious to me, my friend. :smile:
but instead of torque let's think the other way out that when the ball reaches the center doesn't it stop there due to the gravity which is immense at the center
Actually, gravity is zero at the center.

Doc Al said:
Nothing is obvious to me, my friend. :smile:

Actually, gravity is zero at the center.
ha ha,
sir your last comment has given me an another question to think about.why is gravity zero at the center

Because at the center of the earth, all the Earth's mass is "above" you. You are equally surrounded by mass in all directions, thus, by symmetry, the net gravitational force on you must be zero.

Related to Dropping a tennis ball through the earth

1. How long would it take for a tennis ball to drop through the earth?

The time it takes for an object to fall through the earth depends on its mass and the density of the earth. For a tennis ball, it would take approximately 42 minutes to reach the other side if there is no air resistance. However, this is just a theoretical calculation and it is not possible for a ball to actually reach the other side due to various factors such as air resistance and changes in density and temperature within the earth's layers.

2. Would the tennis ball reach the other side of the earth?

No, it is not possible for a tennis ball or any other object to reach the other side of the earth. This is because the earth's core is made of solid iron and nickel, which is extremely dense and would cause the object to stop and be pulled back towards the center of the earth.

3. What would happen to the tennis ball as it falls through the earth?

The tennis ball would experience increasing air pressure as it falls deeper into the earth. Once it reaches the earth's core, the immense pressure and temperature would cause the ball to disintegrate. Additionally, the changing densities and temperatures within the earth's layers would also affect the ball's speed and trajectory.

4. What would be the acceleration of the tennis ball as it falls through the earth?

The acceleration of the tennis ball would gradually decrease as it falls towards the center of the earth. This is because the force of gravity would decrease as the distance from the earth's center decreases. At the center of the earth, the acceleration would be zero since the forces of gravity would be balanced.

5. Can we use this concept to create a shortcut through the earth?

No, it is not possible to use this concept to create a shortcut through the earth. The immense heat and pressure at the earth's core would make it impossible for any object to survive the journey. Additionally, the changing densities and temperatures within the earth's layers would make it difficult for an object to maintain a straight path towards the other side.