Understanding Differentials (dx, dq, etc) in Physics Problems

• I
  • Thread starter FS98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, differentiation involves using differentials like dx or dy to represent small changes in x and y. This is done to find a linear approximation or tangent space in a specific direction. Differentials are a shortcut for representing these directions and are used to simplify the process of differentiation.
FS98
When solving physics problems sometimes we have to use differentials like dx or dq. I don’t quite understand how to use these.

I understand that the limit as change in x approaches 0 of change in y over change in x is represented by dy/dx, where dy and dx are sometimes said to be small changes in x and y.

What I don’t understand is why something like dx can be sometimes treated as change in x. What’s the reasoning behind this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Differentiation means a linear approximation, a tangent or a tangent space. This is a vector space and its basis vectors are sometimes written as ##dx, dy, \ldots## It is the linear approximation in the direction ##x##, resp, ##y, \ldots## So in this sense it is the marginal linearized change in that direction.
Maybe this can answer a few questions:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/#toggle-id-1
There are many different views possible for differentiation: the point, the resulting function, the resulting tangent space, the linear approximation, the process itself, and all are only a differentiation. In the end it's always a linear approximation at some given point in some given direction(s). ##dx## is a short cut for this direction.
With a capital letter, ## D_p f ## is a short cut for ## \left. \dfrac{d}{d \vec{x} } \right|_p \, f(\vec{x}) = \sum \left. \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} \right|_{p_i} \, d x_i ## with the basis vectors ##d x_i## of the tangent space.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of differentials in physics problems?

Differentials, such as dx and dq, are used to represent small, incremental changes in a variable. In physics, this is often used to represent infinitesimal changes in position, time, or charge. By breaking down a problem into smaller parts, differentials can help us understand the behavior of a system in a more precise manner.

2. How do I use differentials in physics equations?

In most cases, differentials are used in conjunction with integrals. They can be thought of as the "building blocks" of an integral, representing the small changes that occur over a given interval. To use differentials in equations, we typically substitute them for the variable we are integrating with respect to, and then integrate the equation.

3. Can I solve physics problems without using differentials?

Yes, it is possible to solve physics problems without using differentials. However, in many cases, using differentials can make the problem easier to solve and provide a more accurate solution. It is always a good idea to understand the concept of differentials and how to use them in physics problems.

4. What is the difference between dx and dq in physics?

The main difference between dx and dq is what they represent. In general, dx represents an infinitesimal change in position or time, while dq represents an infinitesimal change in charge. The specific use of each differential depends on the context of the problem being solved.

5. How can I improve my understanding of differentials in physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of differentials in physics is to practice solving problems that involve them. This will help you become more familiar with how they are used and how to manipulate them in equations. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of calculus, as differentials are closely related to derivatives and integrals.