Calculating Acceleration of a Hay Bale Being Lifted Onto a Barn Loft

• Thread starter jen333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem on dynamics involving the proper storage of hay bales. The farmer exerts an upward pull of 850N on a 81.6kg bale of hay and the given answer is 0.607m/s^2. The individual asking for help shares their approach to solving the problem and receives confirmation that they are on the right track. They also learn that their slight discrepancy in the answer may be due to rounding errors.
jen333
Hey!
I have a physics problem on dynamics. I did the question and received an answer, however, the answer is different from the one that i was given. I just want to know if I did something wrong (i probably did) or if the answer that was given is wrong. here it goes:

Proper storage of hay bales is essential for the survival of cattle during Canadian winters. A farmer uses a cable to exert an upward pull of 850N on a 81.6kg bale of hay at a local farm. Use a diagram and determine the acceleration of the bale as it is lifted onto a barn loft.
The answer that is given is 0.607m/s^2

Here's how I executed the problem:
a) drew a FBD diagram
^
l
l
l T=850N
O
l
\/ Fg

b) i found the force of support on the bale of hay (not sure if this is right)
F=ma
= 81.6kg x 9.81m/s^2
= 800N

c) subtracted this force from the tension force:
850N-800N= 50N

d) i used the formula again F=ma

a=F/m= 50N/81.6kg
= 0.613m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering you are off by 0.06m/s^2 I would say your error is from rounding.

In part b) 81.6 x 9.81 = 800.496

850 - 800.496 = 49.504

49.504/81.6 = 0.606666666m/s^2

alright! good to know that I'm on the right track :biggrin:
Thx for the help!

jen

What is the "Dynamics hay bales Problem"?

The Dynamics hay bales problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces and motion of a stack of hay bales when a force is applied to the top bale.

What are the key factors that affect the dynamics of hay bales?

The key factors that affect the dynamics of hay bales include the weight and mass of each individual bale, the height and stability of the stack, and the force and direction of the external force applied to the top bale.

How do you calculate the forces acting on each hay bale in the stack?

The forces acting on each hay bale can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion, which state that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of the hay bales, the external force applied to the top bale will cause the bales below it to accelerate and experience a force in the opposite direction.

What are some real-world applications of the Dynamics hay bales Problem?

The Dynamics hay bales problem has many real-world applications, such as predicting the movement of a stack of hay bales during transportation, understanding the stability of structures made of stacked objects, and analyzing the forces involved in stacking and unstacking objects.

What are some strategies for solving the Dynamics hay bales Problem?

Some strategies for solving the Dynamics hay bales problem include breaking the stack into smaller, more manageable sections, using free-body diagrams to visualize the forces acting on each bale, and applying the principles of Newton's laws of motion and vector addition to calculate the net force and acceleration of the stack.