How Does an Electrostatic Ink-Jet Printer Manipulate Charged Ink Drops?

In summary: N/C, which is the E field in the space between the electrodes.In summary, an electrostatic ink-jet printer forms letters by using deflecting electrodes to steer charged ink drops across the page. The drops are 30.0 (mu)m in diameter and are charged with 800,000 electrons before being shot toward the page at a velocity of 16.0 m/s. To form letters with a maximum height of 6.0 mm, the drops need to be deflected a maximum of 3.0 mm. The distance from the center of the plates to the paper is 1.40 cm. The ink, consisting of dye particles suspended in alcohol, has a density of 800 kg/m^3. To
sister007
1. One type of ink-jet printer, called an electrostatic ink-jet printer, forms the letters by using deflecting electrodes to steer charged ink drops up and down vertically as the ink jet sweeps horizontally across the page. The ink jet forms 30.0 (mu)m diameter drops of ink, charges them by spraying 800,000 electrons on the surface, and shoots them toward the page with a horizontal velocity of 16.0 m/s . Along the way, the drops pass through the long axis of two parallel electrodes that are 6.0 mm long, 4.0 wide, and spaced 1.0 mmapart. The distance from the center of the plates to the paper is 1.40 cm. To form the letters, which have a maximum height of 6.0 mm, the drops need to be deflected up or down a maximum of 3.0 mm. Ink, which consists of dye particles suspended in alcohol, has a density of 800 kg/m^3

QUESTION: Estimate the maximum electric field strength needed in the space between the electrodes.

What amount of charge is needed on each electrode to produce this electric field?

2. Help me get started!
I am given a velocity so I can solve for acceleration using F=EQ. That is the acceleration from the center of the electrodes to the paper. I am having trouble understanding the "format" of the electric field between the electrodes.
The E field of a plane is N/(2*Epsilon). and N=Q/AREA?
I know the E field between the electrodes must be strong enough to get the electrons to the paper. I just don't know how to relate the two. Help please. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge on the plates of the capacitor is related to the voltage and capacitance by Q=CV. That's what you use for the 2nd part of the questions (about the charge on the capacitor plates).

Can someone please help with the first question?

sister007 said:
Can someone please help with the first question?

Do you recognize that you have a projectile problem (from your first semester physics class)?

Yes, I do, I can see that I can find acceleration and then I could find E, but its not the right E, so I am not sure how it relates. I need guidance.

It might be a good idea to show your attempt, including your calculations.

You want me to show my attempt at finding accereration?

-20^2=2(a)(.02+003), solve for a, a =8696 m/s^2,
the .003 being the middle of plate

if i was to go further and find E, I use the fact that f=eq, a=eq/m, and so e would be 4.95*10^-8

Last edited:

Related to How Does an Electrostatic Ink-Jet Printer Manipulate Charged Ink Drops?

1. What is the "E Field" in an ink jet printer?

The "E Field" in an ink jet printer refers to the electric field that is used to control the movement of ink droplets during the printing process. This field is created by electrically charged plates located near the ink cartridges.

2. How does the E Field work in an ink jet printer?

The E Field works by applying an electric charge to the ink droplets as they pass through the ink cartridges. The charged droplets are then directed towards the surface of the paper by the electric field, creating the desired image or text.

3. What is the purpose of the E Field in an ink jet printer?

The purpose of the E Field in an ink jet printer is to precisely control the movement of ink droplets onto the paper, ensuring accurate and high-quality prints. Without the E Field, the ink droplets would not be able to form the desired image or text on the paper.

4. How is the strength of the E Field determined in an ink jet printer?

The strength of the E Field in an ink jet printer is determined by the voltage applied to the electrically charged plates. The higher the voltage, the stronger the electric field, and the more control over the ink droplets' movement.

5. Can the E Field in an ink jet printer be adjusted?

Yes, the E Field in an ink jet printer can be adjusted. Some printers have settings that allow users to adjust the voltage applied to the electric plates, which can affect the strength of the E Field. Additionally, the distance between the plates and the paper can also be adjusted to change the strength of the electric field.