1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E&M question

1. Apr 2, 2006 #1
    The distance between an object and its image is fixed at 40.0 cm. A converging lens of focal length f = 3.62 cm forms a sharp image for two positions of the lens. What is the distance a between these two positions?

Determine:

The distance between these two positions a = ____cm

Could someone help me with the formula i want to be using?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The thin lens formula gives
    [tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{o}+\frac{1}{i}[/tex]
    with i the image distance and o the object distance. Now say you find a position between the object and fixed screen (image position) such that you get a sharp image on the screen. The object image is now o and the image distance i while the sum of these two being 40 cm. But according to the formula if you make the object distance i the image distance should be o! Which gives you the other position of the lens where you should get a sharp image on the screen. In the second case the object distance will therefore be i and the image distance will be o.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  4. Apr 3, 2006 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I would guess that with a mech advantage of 2 you would have problems lifting your lecturer! Three would give you a fighting chance!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?