Calculate a: Dist. b/w Lens Positions for 40 cm Object-Image Distance

• Thread starter matt85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the distance between an object and its image is fixed at 40.0 cm. A converging lens of focal length f = 3.62 cm forms a sharp image for two positions of the lens. The distance between these two positions, a, can be determined using the thin lens formula \frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{o}+\frac{1}{i}. The first position of the lens, where the object distance is o and the image distance is i, will give a sharp image on the screen. The second position, where the object distance is i and the image distance is o, will also give a sharp image on the screen. With a mech advantage of 2, it may
matt85
The distance between an object and its image is fixed at 40.0 cm. A converging lens of focal length f = 3.62 cm forms a sharp image for two positions of the lens. What is the distance a between these two positions?

Determine:

The distance between these two positions a = ____cm

Could someone help me with the formula i want to be using?

Physics news on Phys.org
The thin lens formula gives
[tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{o}+\frac{1}{i}[/tex]
with i the image distance and o the object distance. Now say you find a position between the object and fixed screen (image position) such that you get a sharp image on the screen. The object image is now o and the image distance i while the sum of these two being 40 cm. But according to the formula if you make the object distance i the image distance should be o! Which gives you the other position of the lens where you should get a sharp image on the screen. In the second case the object distance will therefore be i and the image distance will be o.

Last edited:
I would guess that with a mech advantage of 2 you would have problems lifting your lecturer! Three would give you a fighting chance!

Related to Calculate a: Dist. b/w Lens Positions for 40 cm Object-Image Distance

1. How do I calculate the distance between lens positions for a 40 cm object-image distance?

To calculate the distance between lens positions for a 40 cm object-image distance, you will need to use the thin lens formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. In this case, the focal length (f) is equal to 40 cm and the object distance (do) is equal to the image distance (di). Therefore, the equation becomes: 1/40 = 1/do + 1/di. By solving for the value of di, you can determine the distance between the two lens positions.

2. What is the thin lens formula?

The thin lens formula is a mathematical equation used to determine the relationship between the focal length, object distance, and image distance of a thin lens. It is commonly used in optics to calculate the position of an image formed by a lens.

3. Can I use the thin lens formula for any type of lens?

No, the thin lens formula is only applicable to thin lenses. Thin lenses are defined as having a thickness that is small in comparison to the focal length. If the lens is not thin, you will need to use a different formula or method to calculate the lens positions.

4. What are the units for the distances in the thin lens formula?

The units for the distances in the thin lens formula can vary, but they must be consistent. For example, if the focal length is given in meters, then the object and image distances should also be in meters. If the focal length is given in millimeters, then the object and image distances should also be in millimeters.

5. Why is it important to calculate the distance between lens positions for a 40 cm object-image distance?

Calculating the distance between lens positions is important because it allows you to determine the necessary placement of lenses in an optical system. This is crucial for achieving the desired image quality and characteristics, such as magnification and focus. Without accurately calculating the distance between lens positions, the resulting image may be distorted or out of focus.