Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-Z isomerism

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    ezfgf.png

I know what E-Z isomerism is, but I'm confused about Q9), couldn't the answer just be all of them?

FOr 10, I know its but- since there are 4 carbons in the chain but how do I know which of the options are wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming

4. May 12, 2012 #3
    A compound is a z-isomer if the groups are on the same side, and an e-isomer if the groups are on different sides, like so:

ez6.gif

I tried look around but it gets too complicated, I do AS Chemistry which doesn't cover that much material..

Thanks for the reply

5. May 13, 2012 #4
    OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

200px-1%2C1-Dichloroethene.svg.png

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. May 13, 2012 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Other way of thinking (which basically boils down to the same thing sjb already suggests) - try to draw E-Z isomers of the compound A (Q9). Are they really different?

7. May 13, 2012 #6
    Nope! Since the Cl and Cl have the same priority (and same goes for the H atoms)

8. May 13, 2012 #7
    isoemr.png

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers

9. May 13, 2012 #8
    Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.

10. May 14, 2012 #9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook