Solving Linear System with Gaussian Elimination - Help for Beginner

In summary, Shane is taking a beginning linear algebra course. She has a system that she has to solve with Gaussian Elimination, but when looking at the example she can't seem to get started. She is looking for someone to help her out with the code for displaying the matrix.
shane1
I've taken about 3 year break from this style of math, I've been doing Calculus since then. I am taking a beginning linear algebra course and I have a system I have to solve with Gaussian Elimination. I know how to work towards a solution and what Gaussian Elimination is. However when I look at this one I just can not see how to start it up.

Oh yea, the system is:
x + 2y - z = 4
y - z = 3
x + 3y =2z = 7
2u + 4w + x +7y = 7

Also if someone on here would be able to post the code for how to get Latex to display it is an augmented matrix I'd be really greatful.

I feel with this I just need a kick in the right direction.

-Shane

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a pivot. In this it looks like a good choice is x in the x + 2y - z = 4. Then eliminate all other variables in that position. The other rows containing an x are x + 3y + 2z = 7 and 2u + 4w + x + 7y = 7.

It would be easier to do if you had it in a matrix so that the variables are all in order, from x to z.

i found this latex code for a matrix:

[tex ]V = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1-\frac{1}{2}\lambda^2 & \lambda & A\lambda^3(\rho-i\eta) \\-\lambda & 1-\frac{1}{2}\lambda^2 & A\lambda^2 \\A\lambda^3(1-\rho-i\eta) & -A\lambda^2 & 1\end{array} \right)[/tex]

which produces this

[tex]V = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1-\frac{1}{2}\lambda^2 & \lambda & A\lambda^3(\rho-i\eta) \\-\lambda & 1-\frac{1}{2}\lambda^2 & A\lambda^2 \\A\lambda^3(1-\rho-i\eta) & -A\lambda^2 & 1\end{array} \right)[/tex]

it's not augmented but i think it still works. it's not necessary to augment your matrices but it might help to remember where the numbers are on one side of the equations. i don't like to augment my matrices because i always forget that there are numbers over there & then i don't do the operations on them.

as orthodentist said, the first thing you've got to do is pick a pivot. i would go with one that has 1 as its coefficient because it saves a lot of work. it's easier to multiply things by multiples of 1 than some other number or a fraction. then you've got to decide what order you want the other variables in. & you've got to make sure all the equations are written with them in the same order. & don't forget that the coefficient of a certain variable is 0 when it doesn't appear in an equation!

What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a method used to solve a system of linear equations by systematically eliminating variables until a unique solution is found.

How does Gaussian Elimination work?

The first step in Gaussian Elimination is to arrange the equations in a matrix. Then, using elementary row operations, the matrix is transformed into an upper triangular matrix. Finally, back substitution is used to solve for the variables and find the solution to the system of equations.

Why is Gaussian Elimination useful?

Gaussian Elimination is useful because it provides a systematic and efficient way to solve systems of linear equations. It also allows for easy verification of the solution and can be applied to systems with any number of variables and equations.

Are there any limitations to Gaussian Elimination?

One limitation of Gaussian Elimination is that it cannot be used on systems with infinite solutions or no solutions. It also becomes more complex and time-consuming as the number of variables and equations increases.

How can I improve my skills in solving linear systems with Gaussian Elimination?

The best way to improve your skills in Gaussian Elimination is through practice. Solving various types of linear systems using this method will help you become more familiar and efficient with the process. Additionally, seeking additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials can also be beneficial.