Finding Weightless Point on Earth-Moon Center Line - 6.67E^-11

• Thread starter uno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, to locate the position of a spaceship on the Earth-Moon center line where the gravitational forces would cancel and the craft would be weightless, one must use the formula a = (GM)/r^2 and make two equations equal each other. The masses of both bodies must be taken into account, and the radii must be measured from the center of each body.
uno
1. Locate the position of a spaceship on the Earth-Moon center line such that, at that point, the tug of each celestial body exerted on it would cancel and the craft would literally be weightless. Please answer in meters from the Moon

2. The only thing I can think of is that G=6.67E^-11

3. I am not sure how to approach this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you know this formula I'm sure: [tex] F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]

But unforunately the force depends on the masses of both bodies, so let's divide by m to find the acceleration of M.

[tex] a = \frac{GM}{r^2} [/tex]

For the distance (r) at which both have the same gravitational acceleration, you must make two equations equal each other. Be careful with your r, because you are measuring from the moon.

o.k the mass of Earth is 5.97E24 kg and the moon is 7.36E22kg. First I am looking for acceleration. I am unclear when you suggested that I divide by m to find the acceleration of M.

That was just showing you how I derived the acceleration due to gravity formula. You can ignore the first part of that post now.

Focus on this formula:

[tex] a = \frac{GM}{r^2} [/tex]

This applies to all bodies. Therefore you can have the acceleration due to the Earth's field:

[tex] a = \frac{GM_e}{r^2} [/tex] where r is measured from the centre of the earth.

and the acceleration of the moon is:

[tex] a = \frac{GM_m}{r^2} [/tex] where r is measured from the centre of the moon.

When these two equations equal each other, you have the point you are looking for.
However! The radii are measured from two different locations. You need to change the form of 'r' in one of the equations.

What is the "Finding Weightless Point on Earth-Moon Center Line - 6.67E^-11" problem?

The "Finding Weightless Point on Earth-Moon Center Line - 6.67E^-11" problem refers to the search for a point on the center line between the Earth and the Moon where the gravitational forces from both bodies cancel out, resulting in a state of weightlessness.

Why is finding the weightless point important?

Finding the weightless point is important for space exploration and understanding the dynamics of the Earth-Moon system. It can also be used for practical purposes, such as determining the optimal location for a space station or satellite.

How is the weightless point calculated?

The weightless point is calculated using the formula for gravitational force, which is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67E^-11), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies, and r is the distance between them. By setting the gravitational forces from both the Earth and the Moon equal to each other and solving for r, the weightless point can be determined.

Is the weightless point a fixed location?

No, the weightless point is not a fixed location. It is constantly changing due to the orbiting of the Earth and the Moon. Additionally, the presence of other celestial bodies can also affect the location of the weightless point.

Can humans experience true weightlessness at the weightless point?

No, humans cannot experience true weightlessness at the weightless point. While the gravitational forces from the Earth and the Moon may cancel out, there are still other forces at play, such as the Earth's rotation and the Moon's tidal forces, which can affect the perception of weightlessness.