Earth's Magnetic Field Lab question

In summary: I'm not sure if that's better or worse. But I think the angle I get from the curve fitting is more accurate.Your method of fitting a curve through the data gives a more accurate angle, but the other method, of drawing a straight line, is easier to do.
lloyd21 said:
I actually think I figured it out...3 percent error seems reasonable too, thanks a lot for everything though!
It's not a statistic for which percentage error is appropriate. It's the absolute error that matters. (Though I guess you could express it as a percentage of 360 degrees.)

<h2>1. What is Earth's magnetic field?</h2><p>Earth's magnetic field is a natural phenomenon that extends from the Earth's interior to the edge of space, protecting our planet from harmful solar radiation and cosmic particles.</p><h2>2. How is Earth's magnetic field generated?</h2><p>Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. This movement creates electric currents, which in turn produce a magnetic field.</p><h2>3. Why is Earth's magnetic field important?</h2><p>Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in protecting our planet from the solar wind and cosmic radiation, which can be harmful to both living organisms and technological systems.</p><h2>4. How does Earth's magnetic field affect navigation?</h2><p>Earth's magnetic field is used in navigation by compasses, which align with the magnetic field lines and allow for accurate direction finding. However, the magnetic field is constantly changing, so adjustments must be made to account for this.</p><h2>5. Can Earth's magnetic field reverse?</h2><p>Yes, Earth's magnetic field has reversed multiple times in the past, with the north and south magnetic poles switching places. This process is known as a geomagnetic reversal and can occur every few hundred thousand years.</p>

1. What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a natural phenomenon that extends from the Earth's interior to the edge of space, protecting our planet from harmful solar radiation and cosmic particles.

2. How is Earth's magnetic field generated?

Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. This movement creates electric currents, which in turn produce a magnetic field.

3. Why is Earth's magnetic field important?

Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in protecting our planet from the solar wind and cosmic radiation, which can be harmful to both living organisms and technological systems.

4. How does Earth's magnetic field affect navigation?

Earth's magnetic field is used in navigation by compasses, which align with the magnetic field lines and allow for accurate direction finding. However, the magnetic field is constantly changing, so adjustments must be made to account for this.

5. Can Earth's magnetic field reverse?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field has reversed multiple times in the past, with the north and south magnetic poles switching places. This process is known as a geomagnetic reversal and can occur every few hundred thousand years.