Calculate Change in Energy for n=4 to n=1 Hydrogen Atom

• Thread starter xmflea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the change in energy when transitioning from n=4 to n=1 in a hydrogen atom. The equation used is E = -Rh/n^2 and the final answer is -2.04E-18J, which is a negative value. This is because the change in energy can be seen as either negative or positive, depending on the point of view.
xmflea
Calculate the change in energy when the following transition occurs in the hydrogen atom.

n = 4 ----> n = 1

equation

E = -Rh/n^2

eventually my answer is 2.04E-18J because my book tells me to take 1 over n(low) squared minus 1over n(high) squared and multiply by rydberg constant.. so doing it according to the book i get a positive number

but the answer is -2.04E-18J... and now after looking online... I am getting serveral mixed sources, some saying that it is positive, others saying it is negative.. which is it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Negative.

This is change in energy. Whatever atom loses is gained by surroundings, so sign if the change is either negative or positive, depending on the point of view.

--

What is the formula for calculating the change in energy for a hydrogen atom?

The formula for calculating the change in energy for a hydrogen atom is ΔE = -13.6eV * (1/n2final - 1/n2initial), where nfinal is the final energy level and ninitial is the initial energy level.

What is the value of n in the formula for calculating change in energy?

The value of n represents the energy level of the electron in the hydrogen atom. It can take on integer values from 1 to infinity, with n=1 being the ground state and higher values representing excited states.

How does the change in energy relate to the emission or absorption of light in a hydrogen atom?

When an electron in a hydrogen atom transitions from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, it releases energy in the form of light. This is known as emission. Conversely, when an electron in a hydrogen atom absorbs energy from incoming light, it can transition to a higher energy level. This is known as absorption.

Can the change in energy for a hydrogen atom be positive?

Yes, the change in energy for a hydrogen atom can be positive if the final energy level is higher than the initial energy level. This indicates that the atom has absorbed energy and the electron has transitioned to a higher energy level.

How is the change in energy related to the stability of a hydrogen atom?

The change in energy is directly related to the stability of a hydrogen atom. A lower energy level corresponds to a more stable state for the electron in the atom. Therefore, a larger change in energy (i.e. a greater decrease in energy) indicates a more stable state for the atom.