Free Software for Easy Drawing on Windows XP

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the conversation discussed a request for a single free software to draw schematic pictures for physics problems. Suggestions included XFig, Drawplus 4, and using the standard Paint tool on Windows. The conversation also mentioned the need for the software to run on Windows XP and the possibility of using Equation Illustrator. Ultimately, the solution suggested was to try Inkscape.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am looking for a single free software to draw easy schematic pictures, such as those for setting up physics problems and so on. You'd be able to draw arrows, lines, a bit of text, easy geometrical forms and so.

I have heard about XFig, but it is needed Linux or Unix I don't remember. I tried some time ago to install it from a web page somebody gave me just here, but I wasn't able.

Do you have some suggestion?

Please, if possible I want it to be running under WinXP.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could try Drawplus 4

I've been looking for something similar. In the meantime, try the standard Paint drawing tool built into Windows, with a little imagination it can be a little more versatile than most people think it could be.

schematic pictures -> vector graphics -> NOT paint.
xfig is properly superior to other free programs, I once installed it under XP by following the guide here: http://www.cs.usask.ca/grads/wew036/latex/xfig.html

You might also be able to use Equation Illustrator:
http://www.mgcsoft.com/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Triss said:
schematic pictures -> vector graphics -> NOT paint.
xfig is properly superior to other free programs, I once installed it under XP by following the guide here: http://www.cs.usask.ca/grads/wew036/latex/xfig.html

You might also be able to use Equation Illustrator:
http://www.mgcsoft.com/index.htm

Thanks everyone. I've downloaded Inkscape. If it doesn't fit to my need, I will try with some other you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Free Software for Easy Drawing on Windows XP"?

"Free Software for Easy Drawing on Windows XP" is a type of computer program that allows users to create digital drawings on their Windows XP operating system. It is free to download and use, making it a popular choice for both beginners and experienced artists.

2. Is this software compatible with Windows XP?

Yes, this software is specifically designed for use on the Windows XP operating system. It may not work on other operating systems, so it is important to make sure you have Windows XP before downloading.

3. What are the features of this software?

This software offers a variety of drawing tools, such as pens, pencils, and brushes, as well as different color options, layers, and editing capabilities. It also has a user-friendly interface, making it easy for anyone to use.

4. Can I use this software for professional or commercial purposes?

Yes, this software can be used for professional or commercial projects. However, it is important to check the terms of use for the specific software you are using, as some may have restrictions on commercial use.

5. Is there a community or support system for this software?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums where users of this software can connect, share their work, and get support from other users. Some software may also have a dedicated support team to assist with any technical issues.