Kinematics: Find Ball's Bounce Ratio from Height h

• Thread starter slogger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a ball falling from a height onto an inclined plane and finding the ratio of the distance between points where the ball strikes the plane after rebounding. The answer is 1:2:3 and the process involves calculating velocity vectors and using energy considerations. The conversation also mentions a potential trick or shortcut to solving the problem.
slogger
Dunno if its a school level qn for u all , but its certainly not for me :D

A ball freely falls from a height h onto an inclined plane forming an ange alpha with the horizon. Find the ratio of the distance between the points at which the jumping ball strikes the inclined plane first , second and third times after rebounding from falling from the given height.Consider the impacts betweeen the ball and the plane to be absolutely elastic.

The answer is 1:2:3 and it kinda shocked me !

Physics news on Phys.org
It sure looks quite complicated. It seems as though I'd have to calculate the velocity vectors each time it bounces off the plane under the assumption that the ball rebounds the same angle from the normal to the incline plane and then re-calculate the next point of impact. There has to be a trick we can use somewhere, perhaps by energy considerations?

i indeed did calculate all those velocity vectors , and what i got was a good messup of sin and cos alpha :D

LOL i saw a similar questions in one of the mit ocw assignments. Its got to do with projectile motion.
This is what i think but i might be wrong:
When the ball strikes the inclined plane, it leaves the inclined plane at angle alpha from the horizon. Since the collision is elastic, K.E. is conserved and the velocity when it strikes is the velocity when it leaves.(correct me if I'm wrong i forgot my momentum stuff).
Ok this means that mgh = K.E. = (mv^2)/r
Solve for v and you'll get sqrt(rgh) = v.
This is the speed at which it leaves the inclined plane.
Now, what distance x and y does it move. From this, you can calculate how much does it move, diagonally on the inclined plane.

I think that's the idea.

question* 10char.

Well actually the problem isn't with how to do it It's just that it is very tedious to solve it in this manner. Is there an easier way?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the "bounce ratio" in relation to a ball's height?

The "bounce ratio" is a measure of the height that a ball rebounds to after being dropped from a certain height. It is calculated by dividing the height of the ball's rebound by the height it was dropped from.

3. How is the bounce ratio calculated?

The bounce ratio is calculated by dividing the height of the ball's rebound by the height it was dropped from. For example, if a ball is dropped from a height of 2 meters and rebounds to a height of 1 meter, the bounce ratio would be 1 meter divided by 2 meters, which equals 0.5.

4. Can the bounce ratio be greater than 1?

Yes, the bounce ratio can be greater than 1. This indicates that the ball rebounds to a height higher than the height it was dropped from. In this case, the ball has gained some additional energy during the bounce, such as from a surface with high elasticity.

5. How does the surface affect the bounce ratio of a ball?

The surface that the ball bounces on can greatly affect its bounce ratio. A surface with high elasticity, such as a rubber floor or trampoline, will have a higher bounce ratio compared to a surface with low elasticity, such as concrete or grass. The elasticity of the surface determines how much energy the ball retains during the bounce.