Edexcel Physics Statics Homework

In summary, the task is to find the tension in each wire supporting a uniform metal tube suspended horizontally. The tube has a length of 5.0 m and a mass of 9.0 kg. The two vertical wires are attached at 50 cm and 150 cm respectively from the ends of the tube. To solve this problem, we need to take moments from a specific point and label the tensions as T1 and T2. The support point should be chosen somewhere between 90 cm and 120 cm, where the forces from the two wires will be balanced. Using equilibrium equations, we can determine the tensions in each wire.
UnknownGenius
1. A uniform metal tube of length 5.0 m and mass 9.0 kg is suspended horizontally by two vertical wires attached at 50 cm and 150 cm respectively from the ends of the tube. Find the tension in each wire.

Okay, so I've sketched a diagram out and labelled it. The support would be somewhere between 90 and 120 cms as the forces would be even on both sides.
I am stuck on where to take moments from.

Physics news on Phys.org
UnknownGenius said:
The support would be somewhere between 90 and 120 cms as the forces would be even on both sides.
I don't understand this statement. What do you mean by 'the support'? What forces will be even?
I am stuck on where to take moments from.
Pick your favorite spot.

Hint: Label the tensions as T1 and T2. What equilibrium equations can you come up with?

Related to Edexcel Physics Statics Homework

1. What is Edexcel Physics Statics Homework?

Edexcel Physics Statics Homework is a set of assignments given to students taking the Edexcel Physics course, specifically on the topic of statics. It involves solving problems related to forces, equilibrium, and motion in a stationary object or system.

2. Why is it important to learn about statics in physics?

Learning about statics in physics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects at rest, which is crucial in many real-life situations. It also lays the foundation for understanding more complex concepts in physics, such as dynamics.

3. What are some common topics covered in Edexcel Physics Statics Homework?

Some common topics covered in Edexcel Physics Statics Homework include vector addition, free-body diagrams, Newton's laws of motion, and calculating forces and moments in a static system.

4. How can I improve my performance on Edexcel Physics Statics Homework?

To improve your performance on Edexcel Physics Statics Homework, it is important to review class notes and textbook materials regularly. Practice solving various types of problems and seek help from teachers or peers if needed. Also, make sure to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

5. Are there any online resources available to help with Edexcel Physics Statics Homework?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with Edexcel Physics Statics Homework. Some examples include websites with practice problems and solutions, video tutorials, and interactive simulations to visualize concepts. Your teacher may also provide you with specific online resources to supplement your learning.