Safari Crashing When Editing Posts - Investigating Connection

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, many users are experiencing Safari crashing when hitting the 'edit' button on posts after downloading the Safari 4 upgrade. Some suggest reverting back to the previous version of Safari as upgrades may cause new problems. Others recommend backing up bookmarks and completely uninstalling and reinstalling Safari. However, uninstalling Safari 4 may be difficult and the beta version may have an uninstall option. Others suggest trying FireFox as an alternative.
Danger
Gold Member
As of today, every time that I hit the 'edit' button on one of my posts, Safari crashes. Is anyone else experiencing such annoyance? This has never happened before, but I just downloaded the Safari 4 upgrade. Any connection that anyone knows of?

Computer science news on Phys.org
No problems on my end.

cristo said:
No problems on my end.

Your proctologist must be a very happy man. :biggrin:

Sorry, Cristo. I really couldn't just leave that lying there without comment.

Have you tried reverting back to the previous version of Safari? 99.9 % of the time when you do a software upgrade and there's suddenly a new problem with it, the upgrade broke something.

negitron said:
Have you tried reverting back to the previous version of Safari?
Well, there's another weird thing. My router was screwing up, so I quit Safari (normally it's always on, and I never power down the computer). I had to do that a couple of times before I sorted it out, and each time it has been the old version that booted. I don't know where the hell the new one went. :confused:

Well, if it were me, I'd start by backing up all my bookmarks and then totally uninstall all versions of Safari and then start fresh.

Thanks, Negitron; that sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea of how to do that. Help?

I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't help much. But I did find this guide to backing up bookmarks and other stuff:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2980

And this may help with uninstalling:

http://petermerel.newsvine.com/_news/2009/06/12/2922615-how-to-uninstall-safari-4

Looks like Safari 4 is crap, at least if that last link is to be believed. So, I'm not sure reinstalling will help, unless you can get a previous version to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory, uninstalling is as simple as dragging an application (only the packaged variety) out of your application folder and into the recycle bin. In practice, applications usually leave little bits of themselves (mostly settings) throughout your ~/library and other folders.

Safari 4 seems to be one of those really nasty beasties that doesn't like you to easily uninstall it:
http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/69939/mac-tips-uninstall-safari-4-replace-safari-3

However, the beta .dmg had an uninstall in its package:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1944697&tstart=0

Perhaps you could do the same with the non-Beta Safari .dmg?
http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

I'm really glad my installation didn't crap out, but I guess there's always FireFox...
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why does Safari keep crashing when I try to edit my posts?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a bug in the Safari browser, a problem with your internet connection, or an issue with the website or app you are using to edit your posts. It's also possible that your device's memory is full, causing the browser to crash.

2. Is there a fix for Safari crashing when editing posts?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for this issue, as it could be caused by various factors. However, you can try some troubleshooting steps such as clearing your browser's cache, updating your browser to the latest version, or using a different browser. You can also try restarting your device or freeing up some memory space. If the problem persists, you may need to reach out to the website or app's technical support team for further assistance.

3. I have a stable internet connection, but Safari still crashes when I edit posts. What could be the problem?

If your internet connection is not the issue, it's possible that the website or app you are using to edit your posts has compatibility issues with Safari. You can try using a different browser or contacting the website or app's technical support team for further assistance.

4. How can I prevent Safari from crashing when editing posts in the future?

To prevent Safari from crashing when editing posts, make sure to regularly update your browser to the latest version and clear your browser's cache. It's also essential to have enough memory space on your device and a stable internet connection. If the issue persists, try using a different browser or contacting the website or app's technical support team for further assistance.

5. Is this a common issue with Safari, and is there a permanent fix?

Safari crashing when editing posts is not a widespread issue, but it can happen due to various reasons. Unfortunately, there is no permanent fix for this issue as it could be caused by different factors. However, you can try some troubleshooting steps such as updating your browser, clearing your cache, or using a different browser to see if it resolves the problem. If not, you may need to contact the website or app's technical support team for further assistance.