Why does the force increase when holding a bag at an angle of 45 degrees?

In summary, the force that needs to be applied to hold a bag at an angle of 45 degrees with only one person holding it is 1.5x greater than when the bag is held together with two people.
Physicsterian
Hi,

If 2 people are holding a bag at an angle of 45 degrees each, and then only person is going to hold it, it is being said that the force that will have to be applied by that one person will be 1.5 times greater than when he was applying it together with the other. Can anyone explain this or provide a source where I can find information on it considering I am just a beginner in the area (I can work with the SOHCAHTOA rule and know how to break gravity force in its X and y component).

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsterian said:
HI,
Welcome to PF!
If 2 people are holding a bag at an angle of 45 degrees each, and then only person is going to hold it, it is being said that the force that will have to be applied by that one person will be 1.5 times greater than when he was applying it together with the other. Can anyone explain this or provide a source where I can find information on it considering I am just a beginner in the area (I can work with the SOHCAHTOA rule and know how to break gravity force in its X and y component).
Bag? As in non-rigid? I don't see how a person can hold a non-rigid bag at a 45 degree angle. As soon as one person let's go of the bag it will swing toward the other person. Maybe it would help if you draw a picture of what you are referring to.

Likes Physicsterian
If you hold handles of a bag at an angle then you have a horizontal and a vertical component of the force. Only the vertical component contributes to holding the bag up, the horizontal one does not (the two people "pull on each other" indirectly via these forces). A force balance can show how large each component is. Then you can compare it to the case of one person holding the bag with vertical handles.

Likes Physicsterian
Physicsterian said:

Forces add as vectors:

MC_09.jpg

More:
https://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_2/Mechanics/MEC_02/Mechanics_2.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector#Addition_and_subtraction

Attachments

• MC_09.jpg
    MC_09.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 711
Likes Physicsterian
It helps me to know that I need to focus on the vertical components and thanks a lot for the valuable sources. I threw an eye over it and I am quite sure, it will make me understand the concept.

I assume it is a rigid body, since the complexity of the questions is said to be easy and have a practical character.

It initially feels kinda complex, as not much info is provided; no force and not even the weight of the object is given, only that the force that needs to be applied is 1.5 times greater in situation b. I need to proof why is it 1.5x greater. The approach that seems most wise to me is choosing a random value for the weight, and applying the trigs in the sources from that point on. Do you think my approach sounds proper?

Thanks a lot in advance
20180823_211319.jpeg

Attachments

• 20180823_211319.jpeg
    20180823_211319.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 620
Here is the weight: ##x##. You don't have to pick a numerical value, the weight will cancel in the ratio later.

Likes Physicsterian
Physicsterian said:
I need to proof why is it 1.5x greater.
It's actually closer to 1.4, so don't get hung up on the 1.5 approximation.

Likes Physicsterian
Thanks a lot everybody, for the support.

I indeed eventually arrived at 1,4, good to know, that takes away some doubt :)! The X that I found calculating it the way I did it, is a ratio number and not the weight. Am I doing it mathematically/systematically correct? Or is it maybe better to say delta W = x or formulate it slightly differently?

The websites you sent me are very useful in answering many other questions I was having difficulties with, so that will keep me busy for the coming couple of days.

Thanks again!
20180825_010106.jpeg

Attachments

• 20180825_010106.jpeg
    20180825_010106.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

What is the effect of angle on force?

The effect of angle on force is that it can either increase or decrease the amount of force applied to an object. This is because the force vector is made up of two components, the horizontal component and the vertical component, and the angle affects the magnitude of these components.

How does the angle affect the direction of force?

The angle affects the direction of force by changing the angle of the force vector. As the angle increases, the direction of the force vector also changes, resulting in a different direction of the applied force.

What is the relationship between angle and force?

The relationship between angle and force is that as the angle increases, the force vector becomes more horizontal and the vertical component of the force decreases. This results in a decrease in the overall force applied to the object.

What is the optimal angle for maximum force?

The optimal angle for maximum force depends on the situation and the object being acted upon. In some cases, a larger angle may result in a greater force, while in others a smaller angle may be more effective. It is important to consider the specific circumstances when determining the optimal angle for maximum force.

How does friction affect the relationship between angle and force?

Friction can affect the relationship between angle and force by creating an opposing force that reduces the overall force applied to an object. This means that at certain angles, the force may need to be increased to overcome the effects of friction.