Constructing a Non-One-to-One Function on [-1,1] Using Rational Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding a continuous function that is one-to-one on the rational numbers in the interval [-1,1] but not on the entire interval. Ideas are suggested, including using piecewise functions and creating an arc between two distinct irrational points. The final suggestion is to make the decreasing part of the function behave like y=-x and the increasing part like y=\pi x.
K29
This question is at the end of a section on the Intermediate Value Theorem in my Real Analysis notes:
Find a continuous function f: [-1,1]->R which is one-to-one when restricted to rational numbers in [-1,1] but is not one-to-one on the whole interval [-1,1]

I can't figure it out. I've thought about piecewise functions and uhm circles, but I don't see how this is even possible. Any ideas?

PS if you have any ideas for[0,1] that would also help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi K29! :smile:

Let's see what we can do here. Take two distinct irrational point a and b. We will make a function such that f(a)=f(b).

Of course, we can't make a constant line between the function, so the function has to make some sort of arc between f(a) and f(b). That is, we will have to make f such that it decreases first and then increases, but such that it's still is one-to-one on the rationals.

No, if you make the decreasing part behave like the line y=-x, and the increasing part something like [itex]y=\pi x[/itex], then this would be something, right?

Thanks, that helped me get to the right answer

1. What is a domain in relation to functions?

A domain is the set of all possible input values for a function. It is the independent variable in a function and represents the values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output.

2. How does the domain affect the behavior of a function?

The domain can greatly impact the behavior of a function. If the domain is limited, the function will only have a specific set of inputs and outputs. If the domain is infinite, the function can have a wide range of inputs and outputs.

3. How can the domain be determined for a given function?

The domain can be determined by looking at the restrictions or limitations of the function. For example, if the function contains a square root, the domain would be limited to non-negative numbers.

4. What happens when the domain is undefined for a function?

If the domain is undefined for a function, it means that there are no possible input values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output. This could happen if there is a division by zero or a square root of a negative number in the function.

5. Can the domain affect the range of a function?

Yes, the domain can affect the range of a function. If the domain is limited, it can restrict the possible outputs of the function. However, if the domain is infinite, the range of the function can also be infinite.