Effect on the output using a TL 072 op-amp

In summary, the TL072 op-amp has a larger output than the ideal op-amp. The output voltage for the TL072 is *10^-30 compared to 100mv for the ideal op-amp. The power supply for the TL072 is not connected correctly and the +/- power terminal inputs still have open squares on them.
gazp1988

Homework Statement

Replace the ideal op-amp by the TL 072 [the default op-amp] and note the effect upon the output. Can you explain it?

Homework Equations

upload_2016-3-24_21-4-0.png

The Attempt at a Solution

i can see there is a large spike on the output volts of the trans-impedance op-amp using the TL 072 op-amp. however I am struggling to explain why.
here is the what the waveform looked like using an ideal op-amp
upload_2016-3-24_21-10-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-24_21-8-51.png
    upload_2016-3-24_21-8-51.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
gazp1988 said:

Homework Statement

Replace the ideal op-amp by the TL 072 [the default op-amp] and note the effect upon the output. Can you explain it?

Homework Equations

View attachment 97897

The Attempt at a Solution

i can see there is a large spike on the output volts of the trans-impedance op-amp using the TL 072 op-amp. however I am struggling to explain why.
here is the what the waveform looked like using an ideal op-amp
View attachment 97899
What analysis are you running there? You just want to get the DC setpoints, right? And the results for the ideal opamp look wrong -- how can -1nA through the 10M resistor and the 10:1 divider give you something * 10^-30? The result for the TL070 opamp looks more reasonable...

the output for the ideal op-amp is 100mv
the output for the TL072 is *10^-30.
im running simetrix.

gazp1988 said:
the output for the ideal op-amp is 100mv
the output for the TL072 is *10^-30.
im running simetrix.
Ah, sorry, I got them backwards. There must be some hookup problem with the TL072 schematic. Why are there blue X's on the input & output connections for the ideal opamp schematic, but not on the TL072 version?

Also, can you probe all of the DC voltages in the circuit for each circuit?

the blue is because the op-amp was highlighted at the time it makes no difference to the output.
each circuit has a dc voltage probe on it next to the marker.

gazp1988 said:
each circuit has a dc voltage probe on it next to the marker.
I only see the output node probe. What about all of the other nodes?

Also, are the power supplies hooked up correctly? In Micro-Cap SPICE, I have to make explicit connections to device terminals. See how your +/- power terminal inputs still have open squares on them? Doesn't that mean they have nothing connected to them yet?

upload_2016-3-25_17-17-41.png

this is how i connect up the power supply and I've put makers on each probe

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-25_17-12-46.png
    upload_2016-3-25_17-12-46.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 439
gazp1988 said:
View attachment 97933
this is how i connect up the power supply and I've put makers on each probe
Can you probe the power supply terminals of the opamp? I still think they are not connected...

upload_2016-3-25_17-23-24.png

Why are they only +/-10mV?

because that is the input we were given for the circuit

gazp1988 said:
because that is the input we were given for the circuit
No way. The power supply rails for an opamp need to be in the +/-12V range. Not 10mV. Set them to +/-12V for both simulations and see what happens.

i see what what i ahev done now the original question stated "Calculate the current I to give an output voltage of 0.1 V if Rf = 10 MΩ, R1 = 90 kΩ, R2 = 10 kΩ." I've taken 0.1v as the input voltage.

gazp1988 said:
i see what what i ahev done now the original question stated "Calculate the current I to give an output voltage of 0.1 V if Rf = 10 MΩ, R1 = 90 kΩ, R2 = 10 kΩ." I've taken 0.1v as the input voltage.
So what are you going to set as your power supply values now? Do both simulations work now with +/-12V rails?

upload_2016-3-25_17-44-8.png

changing the voltage to +/-12 has no difference to the output?

It looks like you have the + & - voltage rails swapped?

ive restructured it now
upload_2016-3-25_18-30-29.png

Looks to be working better! Now you can look into the small errors that the TL072 has versus the ideal opamp. What numbers do you get for the ideal opamp circuit now?

upload_2016-3-25_18-39-57.png

it seems that there is some initial output interference could it be caused because of output noise??

Related to Effect on the output using a TL 072 op-amp

1. What is a TL 072 op-amp and how does it work?

The TL 072 is a type of operational amplifier (op-amp) that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is a high-gain, direct-coupled amplifier that amplifies the difference voltage between its two input terminals. It works by using a differential amplifier configuration to amplify small input signals to a larger output signal.

2. What factors can affect the output of a TL 072 op-amp?

There are several factors that can affect the output of a TL 072 op-amp, including the input voltage, supply voltage, temperature, and external components such as resistors and capacitors. These factors can influence the gain, bandwidth, and stability of the op-amp, which in turn affects the output signal.

3. How does the input voltage impact the output of a TL 072 op-amp?

The input voltage is a crucial factor in determining the output of a TL 072 op-amp. As the input voltage increases, the output voltage will also increase, but it is important to note that the op-amp has a limited output voltage range. If the input voltage exceeds this range, the output will saturate and no longer accurately reflect the input signal.

4. Can the supply voltage affect the output of a TL 072 op-amp?

Yes, the supply voltage can have a significant impact on the output of a TL 072 op-amp. The op-amp requires a stable supply voltage to function properly, and any fluctuations or noise in the supply voltage can cause distortion in the output signal. It is important to ensure that the supply voltage is within the recommended range for the op-amp to ensure optimal performance.

5. How can external components affect the output of a TL 072 op-amp?

External components such as resistors and capacitors can affect the output of a TL 072 op-amp in several ways. These components are often used to adjust the gain or frequency response of the op-amp, and if they are not chosen or connected correctly, they can cause distortion or instability in the output signal. It is important to carefully select and properly connect these external components to ensure the desired output is achieved.