1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective mass

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. For a simple cubic lattice with a lattice constant of a, the energy band can be expressed as:E = Acos(kxa)cos(kya)cos(kza) + B.

(a) Suppose the effective mass for the electron at conduction band is m* = -ħ2/2a2, find A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the effective mass equation and how the effective mass tensor is calculated, but I can't really see how does the effective mass appear to be as indicated(m* = -ħ2/2a2).

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the definition of the effective mass??? it isn't an extremely complicated expression...

4. Nov 24, 2016 #3
    I think it's m* = ħ2/(∂2E/∂k2).
    but how am I going to use this?
    there are three components of k, and I'm not sure how to combine the three masses.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Nov 24, 2016 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you have the expression for E, do the derivatives, the effective mass will be anisotropic.....

6. Nov 24, 2016 #5
    Thanks, I've done the derivatives, but the result is a tensor(shouldn't it?).

how should I relate this with the single value provided by the question (m* = -ħ2/2a2)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted