Solving for A in a Simple Cubic Lattice

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of A in the energy band expression for a simple cubic lattice with a lattice constant of a. It is mentioned that the effective mass for the electron at the conduction band is m* = -ħ2/2a2, and the definition of effective mass is discussed. The conversation also mentions the anisotropy of the effective mass and how it can be calculated using the derivatives of the energy expression. However, there is confusion about how to relate this to the given value of m*.
Josh1079

Homework Statement

1. For a simple cubic lattice with a lattice constant of a, the energy band can be expressed as:E = Acos(kxa)cos(kya)cos(kza) + B.

(a) Suppose the effective mass for the electron at conduction band is m* = -ħ2/2a2, find A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the effective mass equation and how the effective mass tensor is calculated, but I can't really see how does the effective mass appear to be as indicated(m* = -ħ2/2a2).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the effective mass? it isn't an extremely complicated expression...

I think it's m* = ħ2/(∂2E/∂k2).
but how am I going to use this?
there are three components of k, and I'm not sure how to combine the three masses.

Thanks for the reply.

you have the expression for E, do the derivatives, the effective mass will be anisotropic...

Thanks, I've done the derivatives, but the result is a tensor(shouldn't it?).

how should I relate this with the single value provided by the question (m* = -ħ2/2a2)?

1. What is a simple cubic lattice?

A simple cubic lattice is a three-dimensional arrangement of equally spaced points, forming a cube shape. It is the most basic type of lattice and is often used to model the structure of crystals and metals.

2. What is the formula for solving for A in a simple cubic lattice?

The formula for solving for A in a simple cubic lattice is A = a√N, where A is the lattice constant, a is the edge length of the cube, and N is the number of lattice points.

3. How do you determine the number of lattice points in a simple cubic lattice?

The number of lattice points in a simple cubic lattice can be determined by counting the number of points along each edge of the cube and multiplying them together. It can also be calculated using the formula N = (2n + 1)^3, where n is the number of unit cells along each edge.

4. What is the significance of solving for A in a simple cubic lattice?

Solving for A in a simple cubic lattice allows us to determine the size of the unit cell and the distance between lattice points. This information is essential in understanding the physical and chemical properties of materials that have a simple cubic lattice structure.

5. Can you apply the formula for solving A to other types of lattices?

Yes, the formula for solving for A can be applied to other types of lattices such as body-centered cubic and face-centered cubic lattices. However, the values for the lattice constant and the number of lattice points may differ depending on the lattice type.