Solving Eigenvalue Problem After Galerkin

In summary, the Galerkin method is a numerical technique used to solve eigenvalue problems by approximating the problem using a finite-dimensional subspace and then solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors within that subspace. It differs from other methods by using a subspace instead of direct matrix operations, making it suitable for large and complex problems. After applying the method, the original problem is transformed into a smaller, more manageable problem that can be solved using standard numerical techniques. However, the method has limitations such as providing only an approximation and the accuracy depending on the choice of basis. It can be applied to a wide range of eigenvalue problems, but may not be the most efficient for certain types of problems.
pm1366
Eigenvalue problem after galerkin

Homework Statement

i am working on vibration of cylindrical shell analysis, after solving the equations of motion by galerkin method , i reach to an eigenvalue problem this way :

{ p^2*C1+p*C2+C3 } * X=0

C1,C2,C3 are all square matrices of order n*n and all are known ones, and X is a vector of unknown coeffs.

now for nontrivial solution, the determinant of the coefficient matrix must vanish:

det(p^2*C1+p*C2+C3)=0

which should be reduced to a standard eigenvalue problem by transferring to state-space as:

det(M-p*I)=0

where:

M=[-(C1^-1)*C2 , I ; -(C1^-1)*C3 , 0]

where I is the identity matrix of order (n*n) and M is a (2n*2n) matrix.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

now i must find the eigenvalues of matrix M which is expected to be the values of p

also there is an alternative way for finding p , which is solving det(p^2*C1+p*C2+C3) in terms of p and getting the roots ,

my problem is that these two methods don't give exactly the same answers , they're similar but some p values are different , for example after soving the det(p^2*C1+p*C2+C3) the result is :

p=
0.1204 + 370.8*i
- 4.264 - 394.2*i
- 8.648 + 370.8*i
- 4.264 + 506.2*i
- 4.264 - 506.2*i
- 4.264 + 394.2*i
0.1204 - 370.8*i
- 4.264 - 443.6*i
- 4.264 + 443.6*i
- 8.648 - 370.8*i

but when i get eigenvalue of M matrix in MATLAB , i see:

p=
1.0e+02 *

-0.0426 + 3.6016i
-0.0426 + 5.0844i
-0.0426 - 3.6016i
-0.0426 + 3.9915i
-0.0426 - 5.0844i
-0.0426 + 4.4363i
-0.0426 + 3.7287i
-0.0426 - 3.9915i
-0.0426 - 4.4363i
-0.0426 - 3.7287i

in MATLAB one time i write eig(M) to find eigenvalues , and one time i do this way:

solve(det(p^2*C1+p*C2+C3) , p)

also all p values are expected to be complex and they are . the values taken by two methods are simillar in some values but are totally different in others.

i don't know why these two are not the same !

PLEASE HELP me ! thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions in any mathematical method used for analysis. In this case, the Galerkin method is a popular approach for solving partial differential equations by approximating the solution as a linear combination of basis functions. However, it is important to note that this method can lead to a system of equations that may not have a unique solution.

In the case of your eigenvalue problem, it is important to carefully check the assumptions made in the Galerkin method and the resulting equations. It is possible that there may be some errors in the derivation or implementation of the method, leading to the discrepancies in the solutions obtained by the two methods. It may also be helpful to check the condition number of your coefficient matrix to ensure that it is well-conditioned and the solutions obtained are accurate.

Furthermore, it may be beneficial to compare your results with other numerical methods or analytical solutions, if available, to verify the accuracy of your solutions. it is important to carefully validate and verify any numerical methods used for analysis to ensure the reliability of your results.

1. What is the Galerkin method for solving eigenvalue problems?

The Galerkin method is a numerical technique used to solve eigenvalue problems, which involve finding the characteristic values (eigenvalues) and corresponding eigenvectors of a given matrix. It involves approximating the eigenvalue problem using a finite-dimensional subspace and then solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors within that subspace.

2. How does the Galerkin method differ from other methods for solving eigenvalue problems?

The Galerkin method differs from other methods, such as the power method or Jacobi method, in that it involves approximating the problem using a finite-dimensional subspace rather than directly solving the problem using matrix operations. This makes it more suitable for solving large, complex eigenvalue problems.

3. What is the role of the Galerkin method in solving eigenvalue problems after applying it to the problem?

The Galerkin method is used to transform the original eigenvalue problem into a smaller, finite-dimensional problem that can be easily solved using matrix operations. This involves finding a basis for the subspace and then projecting the original problem onto this subspace. The resulting smaller problem can then be solved using standard numerical techniques.

4. What are some limitations of using the Galerkin method for solving eigenvalue problems?

One limitation of the Galerkin method is that it can only provide an approximation to the true eigenvalues and eigenvectors, as the subspace used for approximation may not span the entire solution space. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the choice of basis for the subspace, which can be challenging to determine for complex problems.

5. Can the Galerkin method be applied to all types of eigenvalue problems?

The Galerkin method can be applied to a wide range of eigenvalue problems, including those with non-symmetric matrices or complex eigenvalues. However, it may not be the most efficient method for certain types of problems, such as those with many repeated eigenvalues or those with large matrices. In these cases, other methods may be more suitable for solving the problem.