Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues and -vectors in class

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Hi,

For math we were assigned a subject which we'd present during one class' hour in a group. My group got "Eigenvalues & eigenvectors". So basically first I have to give the definition and explain what it actually is (AX = [tex]\lambda[/tex]X) and then we can spend the rest of the 45 min on making class exercises on this new subject and (something I think welcome to eigenvalues) showing an application of it, to make it less abstract.

Any ideas of how I could present this?

I read somewhere it's used for the Schrödinger equation -- a very interesting piece of science, but I don't think that's something you "show to the aid of eigenvalues".

I was thinking, maybe I could start by drawing a two-dimensional plane with an x and y axis and lead to eigenvalues from the geometrical point of view

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you even know what "eigenvalues" are? If not, why would you agree to give a class talk on them?

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Oh, I'm only 16, but I do 8h of math, meaning it's my main course and as an assignment, the class was divided into groups of three. And as we're currently seeing matrices, each group was assigned a different aspect of it (like eigenvalues for us), which we would learn about for ourselves (we could ask our teacher for help) and then we each get an hour to teach it to the rest of the class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?