Understanding Einstein Tensor Conventions for Tensor Summation

In summary, the given expression can be written as the sum of 4 terms, each with a different combination of the indices j and k. However, using the summation convention, the expression can be simplified to just c_ix_i + c_iy_i. The purpose of using two separate indices may be to help understand the conventions better.
DeShark

Homework Statement

Write out [itex]c_{j}x_{j}+c_{k}y_{k}[/itex] in full, for n=4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figure we have to sum over both j and k. So the answer I obtained is:
[itex](c_1x_1+c_1y_1)+(c_1x_1+c_2y_2)+(c_1x_1+c_3y_3)+(c_1x_1+c_4y_4)+[/itex]
[itex](c_2x_2+c_1y_1)+(c_2x_2+c_2y_2)+(c_2x_2+c_3y_3)+(c_2x_2+c_4y_4)+[/itex]
[itex](c_3x_3+c_1y_1)+(c_3x_3+c_2y_2)+(c_3x_3+c_3y_3)+(c_3x_3+c_4y_4)+[/itex]
[itex](c_4x_4+c_1y_1)+(c_4x_4+c_2y_2)+(c_4x_4+c_3y_3)+(c_4x_4+c_4y_4)[/itex]

i.e. [itex]4(c_1x_1+c_2x_2+c_3x_3+c_4x_4+c_1y_1+c_2y_2+c_3y_3+c_4y_4)[/itex]

but the book I'm working from just gives the answer:
[itex]c_1x_1+c_2x_2+c_3x_3+c_4x_4+c_1y_1+c_2y_2+c_3y_3+c_4y_4[/itex]

so I'm a factor of 4 out. Am I doing it wrong or is the book.

Surely the answer the book gave can be written

[itex]c_ix_i+c_iy_i[/itex]

Apologies for the noobiness of the question, but I'm trying to self-teach tensor calculus and I want to nail the basics before I progress much further.

Physics news on Phys.org
there are two different summations, the first with the dummy index j will give 4 possible terms, while the second with the dummy index k will give other 4. So the whole sum will have 4+4 terms.

Ah... I guess that makes sense if the indices are over different ranges, e.g. j=1,2,3 k=1,2,3,4. It confused me in this case because why would you use two separate indices when one is perfectly adequate. It seems simpler, more obvious and more elegant to just use the one index, given that n=4 for both. Thank you.

Without the summation convention, this would be [itex]\sum_{j=0}^4 x_jc_j+ \sum_{k=0}^4 y_kc_k= x_1c_1+ x_2c_2+ x_3c_3+ x_4c_4+ y_1c_1+ y_2c_2+ y_3c_4+ y_4c_4[/itex] which has, as dextercioby said.

DeShark said:
Ah... I guess that makes sense if the indices are over different ranges, e.g. j=1,2,3 k=1,2,3,4. It confused me in this case because why would you use two separate indices when one is perfectly adequate. It seems simpler, more obvious and more elegant to just use the one index, given that n=4 for both. Thank you.

Yes, using one is simpler, but maybe the point of the exercise is to get you to understand the conventions better, and I think it has now succeeded.

1. What is the Einstein Tensor summation?

The Einstein Tensor summation is a mathematical expression used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It involves summing over the components of the Riemann tensor, which represents the curvature of spacetime, and the metric tensor, which represents the geometry of spacetime.

2. How is the Einstein Tensor summation used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Einstein Tensor summation is used to describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. It is a key component of Einstein's field equations, which describe how matter and energy affect the geometry of spacetime.

3. What does the Einstein Tensor summation represent?

The Einstein Tensor summation represents the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. It is a mathematical expression that combines the Riemann tensor, which describes the intrinsic curvature of spacetime, and the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of spacetime.

4. What are the components of the Einstein Tensor summation?

The Einstein Tensor summation involves summing over four indices, which correspond to the dimensions of spacetime. It includes the Riemann tensor, which has 4 indices, and the metric tensor, which has 2 indices. These tensors are multiplied together and then summed over the repeated indices to calculate the curvature of spacetime.

5. Why is the Einstein Tensor summation important?

The Einstein Tensor summation is important because it is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is the most widely accepted theory of gravity. It has been extensively tested and has accurately predicted many phenomena, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the existence of black holes.