1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein's photoelectric equation

1. Jul 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. How can Planck's constant and the work function be determined from the following graph?

[​IMG]

2. Calculate the frequencies corresponding to the cut-off wavelengths for filters 15 and 29 in table 1. Take speed of light as 3*10^8 m/s.

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the following equations, but can't seem to peice it all together

KE = hf - W

KE = eVs (where Vs is called the stopping potential, the potential for which the photocurrent reaches a value equal to zero)

and Vs = (h/e)f - (W/e)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2007 #2
    A hint: the equation of a line which intersects the x axis at A and has slope m is

y = m*(x-A)

(Think about why... the case y=0 )

4. Jul 18, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

1. You can see from your final equation that the gradient of the graph will be h/e and the y-intercept of the graph (which is not shown in the picture) will be (- W/e). Your final equation is a linear function of the frequency of the incident light.

2. The filters transmits colours with longer wavelengths up to the minimum wavelengths stated. Just calculate the frequencies (cut-off ...) for these minimum wavelengths from

[tex]c = \lambda f[/tex]

This means that these filters will transmit light of lower frequencies up to these calculated ones. Since c is constant in the equation above one need to choose a larger f with a smaller [tex]\lambda[/tex] to obtain the same product. That is a short wavelength causes the peaks to pass a point quicker (larger frequency) than a longer wavelength when they both move at the same speed.

5. Jul 18, 2007 #4
    In regards to q1, gradient will be h/e. Therefore h = gradient*e and work function = y-intercept*-e?

Sorry, I'm slightly confused.

6. Jul 19, 2007 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Correct. The first graph plots the stopping potential for the emitted electrons as a function of the frequency of the incident photons on the material. It therefore displays the relationship between Vs and f. That is exactly what your final equation gives - the relationship between Vs and f. Both h/e and W/e are constants in this equation. So this is a linear relationship between Vs and f.

7. Jul 19, 2007 #6
    Gotcha, now in regards to q2.
    I get the explanation behind c = lambda*f (i.e. as wavelenth gets smaller, frequency gets larger and vice versa), but how do I actually find the numerical values of the frequencies?

8. Jul 19, 2007 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The minimum wavelengths are given in the table so you just calculate the maximum frequencies with

[tex]c = \lambda f[/tex]

9. Jul 19, 2007 #8
    You forgot some equations.

[tex]c = \lambda f[/tex]

[tex]E = h f[/tex]

Where h -> Plank's Cosnt, f -> frequency, and c -> speed of light, E -> energy, lambda -> wavelength

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?