Elastic Collisions in one dimension

In summary, the problem involves two particles of different masses, one moving at a constant speed and the other stationary, undergoing an elastic collision and then one of them bouncing off a wall without losing any speed. Using conservation of momentum and energy, the final speeds of the particles can be found. To determine the position of collision, the distance the particle moving in the opposite direction will travel in the same time it takes for the other particle to hit the wall and return can be calculated, or a more efficient method can be used by adjusting the situation to eliminate the need for the wall.
patelkey

Homework Statement

Particle 1 of mass m1 = 0.30 kg slides rightward along an x-axis on a frictionless floor with a speed of 2.0 m/s. When it reaches x = 0, it undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary particle 2 of mass m2 = 0.40 kg. When particle 2 then reaches a wall at xw = 70 cm, it bounces from it with no loss of speed. At what position on the x-axis does particle 2 then collide with particle 1?

Homework Equations

1/2m1v1i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v2f^2
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I found all the values in the equation however, I don't know how to apply that to figure out the position where they will collide.

Physics news on Phys.org
that's good, but you need another conserved quantity to solve the equation. Have you tried using conservation of momentum?

[itex]m_1 v_{1i} = m_1 v_{1f} + m_2 v_{2f}[/itex]

After using the equation you gave me I got v2f=3m/s and v1f=-2m/s
but what do I do with these two quantities to figure out the point of collision?

okay, so one is moving left at 2 m/s ([tex] v_{1f} = -2 \frac{m}{s}[/tex]) and one is moving right at 3 m/s ([tex]v_{2f} = 3 \frac{m}{s}[/tex].

Another important fact is the particle loses no speed when it hits the wall, so you may assume it just changes direction with the same speed.
(side note: technically, to conserve momentum, you have to assume the wall it hits moves backwards as well, but you can say that the mass of the wall is so huge it barely moves, so [tex]m_1 v_{1i}= m_1 v_{1f} + m_{wall} v_{wall} \rightarrow \frac{m_1}{m_{wall}} (v_{1i} - v_{1f}) = v_{wall}[/tex], but [tex]m_{wall} >> m_1 so v_{wall}[/tex] is approx 0 )

You can start by calculating how far the one moving left at 2 m/s will get from the point of collision (say [tex]x_0 = 0[/tex]) when the one moving right hits the wall, and then find how long it will take for them to meet with the simple equations:

[tex]x_1 (t) = v_{1f} t + x_1[/tex]
[tex]
x_2 (t) = v_{2f} t + x_2
[/tex]

where [tex]x_1, x_2[/tex] are the initial positions of the masses respectively from the point of collision at the time the second particle strikes the wall,

and find when [tex]x_1(t) = x_2 (t)[/tex], solve for that time and plug it in one of the equations to get the distance.

however, there is a slightly more clever way, using the same methods, where you can solve for it in one less step. In what way can you move the particle and slightly change the situation such that the time the particle takes to get to the wall and back in the original situation is the same but it involves no wall?

I got it
It turned out I was entering -0.28 cm but I forgot to convert it so it was actually -28 cm thanks for the help

1. What is meant by an elastic collision in one dimension?

An elastic collision in one dimension is a type of collision between two objects where both the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy are observed. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are the same.

2. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision in one dimension?

The equation for calculating the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision in one dimension is: Vf1 = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) * Vi1 + (2 * m2)/(m1 + m2) * Vi2 and Vf2 = (2 * m1)/(m1 + m2) * Vi1 + (m2 - m1)/(m1 + m2) * Vi2, where Vf1 and Vf2 are the final velocities of objects 1 and 2, m1 and m2 are the masses of objects 1 and 2, and Vi1 and Vi2 are the initial velocities of objects 1 and 2.

3. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an elastic collision in one dimension?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision and it affects the outcome of an elastic collision in one dimension by determining the percentage of kinetic energy that is conserved during the collision. A coefficient of restitution of 1 means a perfectly elastic collision where all kinetic energy is conserved, while a coefficient of restitution of 0 means a completely inelastic collision where no kinetic energy is conserved.

4. Can an elastic collision in one dimension occur between more than two objects?

Yes, an elastic collision in one dimension can occur between more than two objects. In this case, the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations become more complex, but the same principles apply. The total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision must be the same for it to be considered an elastic collision.

5. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect the outcome of an elastic collision in one dimension?

The mass and velocity of objects play a significant role in the outcome of an elastic collision in one dimension. Objects with larger mass will have a greater momentum, and objects with larger velocity will have a greater kinetic energy. Therefore, the final velocities of objects after the collision will be affected by their initial mass and velocity. Additionally, the ratio of masses between the two objects also affects the outcome of the collision.