Electric and Gravitational Forces & Fields

In summary, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this equation, and I'm not sure what I'm really doing. I've gone to the teacher for help, but as soon as I left school and came home, I've drawn a blank about what he told me.
811 trolley
I'm getting pretty frustrated with this equation, and I'm not sure what I'm really doing. I've gone to the teacher for help, but as soon as I left school and came home, I've drawn a blank about what he told me..

"At a point in Earth's atmosphere, the electric field is 150 N/C downward and the gravitational field is 9.80 N/kg downward.

a) Determine the electric force on a proton (p+) placed at this point.

b) Determine the gravitational force on the proton at this point. The proton has a mass of 1.67 x 10-27 kg."

For a), I'm pretty sure you use the formula:
E = Fe/q, and then manipulate it to find Fe, right?

I tried doing this:
Fe = q * E
Fe = 9.80 N/kg * 150 N/C

I get Fe = 1470 N, when in the back of the textbook it says I should get 2.40 x 10-17 N
So I'm not getting the answer that it says in the textbook. I was wondering if I did something wrong with 'q', because isn't that the charge, which should be in coulombs? Am I supposed to use the gravitational field and the mass of the proton to find the charge?

I also tried this:
Fe = (1.67 x 10-27 * 9.80 N/kg) * 150 N/C
and I got Fe = 2.50 x 10-24 N
Still the wrong answer.
Maybe I'm entering it wrong into my calculator?

As for b), I was told to use:
g = Fg/m, then manipulate it to this:
Fg = mg
Fg = 1.67 x 10-27 * 9.80 N/kg

Fg = 1.64 x 10-26 N
which is right, so I don't really know why I typed this all down! Haha

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fe = q * E
Fe = 9.80 N/kg * 150 N/C
q here is charge. What is the charge of a proton? Don't worry about "g" for this part of the question. It doesn't have anything to do with the electric force.

hage567 said:
q here is charge. What is the charge of a proton? Don't worry about "g" for this part of the question. It doesn't have anything to do with the electric force.

Oh, yeah. So instead of 1.67 x 10-27 N/kg, I use 1.60 x 10-19 C.

Fe = 1.60 x 10-19 C * 150 N/C
Fe = 2.40 x 10-17 N

Thanks! I get so frustrated, I seem to just miss one little thing that screws up the answer! I can't believe I did that..

Yeah, it happens!

Related to Electric and Gravitational Forces & Fields

1. What is the difference between electric and gravitational forces?

Electric forces are caused by the attraction or repulsion of charged particles, while gravitational forces are caused by the mass of objects. Electric forces are much stronger than gravitational forces, but they both follow the same inverse square law.

2. How can electric and gravitational forces be represented mathematically?

Electric forces are represented by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gravitational forces are represented by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two masses is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric force can be exerted on a charged particle. It is created by a charged object and can be represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field.

4. How does the strength of an electric field change with distance?

The strength of an electric field decreases with distance from the source. This follows the inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength decreases by a factor of four when the distance is doubled.

5. What is the relationship between electric and gravitational fields?

The relationship between electric and gravitational fields is that they both follow the inverse square law. This means that the strength of the field decreases with distance according to the square of the distance. However, electric fields are much stronger than gravitational fields due to the difference in the strength of the fundamental forces.