Electric charge and total force

In summary, the problem involves three charges, Q1, Q2, and Q3, located in a straight line with Q2 at 0.279 m to the right of Q1 and Q3 at 0.180 m to the right of Q2. The charges are Q1 = 1.90 × 10-6 C, Q2 = -2.65 × 10-6 C, and Q3 = 3.18 × 10-6 C. To calculate the total force on Q2, the formula F=(kq1q2)/r^2 is used. The force of Q1 on Q2 is found to be -0.58150, while the force of
Rasine
Three charges, Q1, Q2, and Q3 are located in a straight line. The position of Q2 is 0.279 m to the right of Q1. Q3 is located 0.180 m to the right of Q2. In the above problem, Q1 = 1.90 × 10-6 C, Q2 = -2.65 × 10-6 C, and Q3 = 3.18 × 10-6 C. Calculate the total force on Q2. Use a plus sign for a force directed to the right.

ok so first i try to calcuate the force of 1 on 2

so i use the equation f=(kq1q2)/r^2 ...so that would be
=(8.99E9*1.90E-6*-2.65E-6)/.279^2 = -.58150

or should i take the net electric charge and then calcuate the force of that charge at the point .279 away from q1?

(continue with first approch) then i calcuate the foce of 3 on 2
=(8.99E9*3.18E-6*-2.65E-6)/.180^2= -2.338

then i sum all the forces acting on 2 and i get -2.92 whic does not make sense.

what am i doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasine said:
(continue with first approch) then i calcuate the foce of 3 on 2
=(8.99E9*3.18E-6*-2.65E-6)/.180^2= -2.338
Why would this force be negative?

well that's what i mean that my answere doesn't make sense...it turns out negtive becuase i am using the coulomb's law for the force of two charges and since it requires that i multiply the charges and one is negitive...then the answer is negtive

should i calcuate the sum of the point charges for the system then use F=qoE to find the force where qo= the chrage of the object that i am trying to fined the foce about?

if i do that...how do i calcuate the electric field about 2 because the distance is 0 so according to eqaution for point electic charge...the field would be 0 too

No, I meant why you F31 be negative, surely it will be positive since the force is acting to the right...

that what i thought but in the formula i calls that i multiply q2 and q3 which is (-)(+)= - so that is why i am confused

what is wrong

Rasine said:
that what i thought but in the formula i calls that i multiply q2 and q3 which is (-)(+)= - so that is why i am confused

what is wrong
The negative sign indicates that the force will be attractive. However in this case we have defined a coordinate axis in which a rightwards acting force is considered positive;
Use a plus sign for a force directed to the right.
So rather than just computing the forces, you must consider the direction in which they act.

the way that i was conidering it: i take q1 and q3 to be + because they are acting in the right direction...then q3 is - because is it actin to the left

so since this isn't wokring hoe can i take this into account better

Rasine said:
the way that i was conidering it: i take q1 and q3 to be + because they are acting in the right direction...then q3 is - because is it actin to the left
That's not quite correct. You need to consider the direction of the force acting on the charge q2. So, q1 is oppositely charged to q2, therefore the force F12 will be attractive and to the left, hence a negative answer (as you have got).

However, q3 is again oppositely charge to q2 and therefore the force F32 will again be attractive, but this time the force is acting to the right. Therefore, the force should be positive.

Do you follow?

oohhh ok. i will try again

Related to Electric charge and total force

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be either positive or negative, and the unit of measurement for electric charge is the Coulomb (C).

2. How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge can be measured using a device called an electroscope, which detects the presence and magnitude of electric charge. The amount of charge can also be calculated using the equation Q = It, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between electric charge and electric force?

Electric charge is a property of matter, while electric force is the interaction between two objects with electric charge. Electric force is caused by the attraction or repulsion of electric charges and is measured in Newtons (N).

4. How does the total force on an object change when it has a net electric charge?

If an object has a net electric charge, it will experience an electric force in an electric field. This force will add to any other forces acting on the object, such as gravity or friction, resulting in a change in the total force on the object.

5. Can electric charge be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electric charge cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another through processes such as conduction, induction, or friction.