What is the Electric Field at Point P?

In summary, to find the electric field at Point P, you must add the two separate fields from the charges. Using the given equations, the resulting values for the 5.6 uC and -3.6 uC charges are 5,040,000 N/C and -9,000,000 N/C, respectively. When these values are added, the resulting electric field at Point P is -3,960,000 N/C. To find the angle, you must break each electric field into its x and y components and add them separately. This process is necessary because electric fields are inherently vectors and their contributions must be added correctly.
RonakPat

Homework Statement

What is the electric field at Point P shown below?
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2268/58580322.png

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{flalign*}
E & = & & k \ \frac{q}{r^2} \ \mbox{ or } \ \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \ \frac{q}{r^2}\\
V & = & & k \ \frac{q}{r} \ \mbox{ or } \ \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \ \frac{q}{r}\\
\end{flalign*}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that to find the electric field acting on point P, I would have to add the two separate fields from the charges.

Using the equation above, i got these answers
for the 5.6 uC I got 5,040,000 N/C
and for the -3.6 uC I got -9,000,000 N/C

and then I added them to get -3,960,000 N/C.

Maybe my thinking was wrong but, the answers my teacher gave me say that the answer to this problem is 7.20 x 106 and the angle is 56degrees N of E.

I also have no idea how to find the angle. My only thought is taking the inverse tangent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Break the problem up completely into vectors and tell me each of the vectors you got. The only way you're going to get the answer is by adding vector components, and not the vector resultants.

I don't see how you can make vectors out of fields =\ my teacher says the solution doesn't have anything to do with vectors.

Electric fields are inherently vectors. They are easy vectors to work with, and maybe that is why he says the solution has nothing to do with vectors. The simple fact of the matter is that you have one field making a contribution in one direction, and another making a contribution in a different direction. You have to know how to correctly add them. In geometrical terms, you simply can't add/subtract the hypotenuse and leg of triangles together.

Break each electric field into its x and y components. Add the two x components and the two y components. You'll get the resultant x component and the resultant y component.

This may seem to have nothing to do with vectors, but a vector IS a pair of components. The usefulness of breaking a quantity down into its components and adding components was why vectors were invented in the first place.

Thanks everyone! I got the answer! Ill just try to break every problem like this into components.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the effect of electric forces on charged particles. It is represented by a vector, with both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by the presence of electric charges. Positive charges create electric fields that point away from them, while negative charges create electric fields that point towards them. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and distance?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

4. How do multiple charges affect an electric field?

If multiple charges are present, the electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge. This means that the overall electric field will be stronger or weaker depending on the direction and magnitude of each individual charge.

5. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In other words, an electric field tells us about the strength and direction of the force, while electric potential tells us about the energy.