Electric Field and Potential Calculation for Square of Charges | Coulomb's Law

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field and potential at the center of a square with four point charges at its corners. The equations used are Coulomb's Law and the definition of electric potential as work done per charge. The solutions are found to be 76.3 x 10^3 NC^-1 upward for the electric field and -25.4x 10^3 V for the electric potential. The potential is found to be one third of the electric field, as it is a scalar quantity.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

Four point charges are placed at the corners of a square of side 1m as shown in Fig 18.54 Find
a) the electric field, and
b) the electric potential at the center of the square

Photo is attached

Homework Equations

coulomb's law
Ans of a=76.3 x 10^3 NC^-1 upward
Ans of b=-25.4x 10^3 V

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do part a by 2x(2/10^6)x2x8.99x10^9xsin45 + 2x(2/10^6)x8.99x10^9xsin45=76.3 x 10^3 NC^-1 upward.
I just attempted b part by 2x(2/10^6)xroot2x8.99x10^9xsin45 + 2x(1/10^6)xroot2x8.99x10^9xsin45
because V=ED I just multiply each term by its length 1/root2 from the center.
But the answer seems to be one third of the answer from part a, please teach me how to do.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing it from the definition of the electric potential.

Likes Clara Chung
Use the definition: work done per charge from infinity to the center?

Clara Chung said:
Use the definition: work done per charge from infinity to the center?
That will work. Potential at a point at a distance r due to a charge q is kq/r. You can add and subtract potentials aglebraically.

Likes Clara Chung
Thanks I forget that voltage is scalar

Likes Simon Bridge
Well done.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It deals with the behavior of stationary electric charges, the forces they exert on each other, and the electric fields they create.

2. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. There are two types of electric charges: positive and negative, and they can be either created or destroyed.

3. How does an object become charged?

An object becomes charged by gaining or losing electrons. When an object gains electrons, it becomes negatively charged, and when it loses electrons, it becomes positively charged. This process is called charging by friction or contact.

4. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by a charged object and can be either repulsive or attractive. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charge creating it.

5. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact with each other through the exchange of photons, which are particles of light. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. The strength of the force between two charges is determined by their distance and the magnitude of their charges.