Electric Field at a Distant Point

In summary: The third line is wrong because you can't cancel the x in the numerator with the x in the denominator. When you cancel factors in a fraction you have to cancel whole factors, not parts of a factor.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a distant point on the x-axis for an electric dipole with charges q and -q located at (a,0) and (-a,0) respectively. The correct formula for the electric field is E(x) = 4kqa/x^3, where k is Coulomb's constant. However, the attempt at a solution uses incorrect simplifications and raises questions about why shifting the y-axis affects the solution.
davezhan
1. Consider the electric dipole on the x-axis where a positive charge q is at (a,0) and a negative charge -q is at (-a,0) such that the distance between the two charges is 2a. Show that the electric field at a distant point on the +x axis is
E(x)= 4kqa/x^3.

2. Homework Equations : E=kq1q2/r^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

E=kq/x^2 - kq/(x+2a)^2

E(simplified)=kq[x^-2 - (x^2+4a)^-1]

E=4kqa/(x^4+4x^2a)

This clearly gives me the wrong solution, but I know it works when I switch my r values.

Why is it that I have to use x-a and x+a for r instead of x and x-2a?

Why does shifting the y-axis change the answer since x>>2a, it shouldn't matter, but I'm getting a different solution using this approach.

Please help me understand this problem! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

E=4kqa/(x^4+4x^2a)

Check this simplification.
E = kq[1/x^2 - 1/(x + 2a)^2]
= kq[(x+2a)^2 - x^2]/(x)^2*(x+2a)^2
= kq[4ax+4a^2]/(x)^2*(x+2a)^2
= kq*4ax*(1+a/x)/(x)^4(1+2a/x)^2
Neglect a/x term and find E.

davezhan said:
E=kq/x^2 - kq/(x+2a)^2

The second line is obviously wrong because you can't add [itex]x^2[/itex] to [itex]4a[/itex]. They have different units. It's not clear to me what you were trying to do.

1. What is an electric field at a distant point?

The electric field at a distant point is a measure of the force that a charged particle would experience at that point. It is caused by the presence of other charged particles in the surrounding area.

2. How is the electric field at a distant point calculated?

The electric field at a distant point is calculated by using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the electric field at a distant point depend on the charge of the particle?

Yes, the electric field at a distant point is directly proportional to the charge of the particle. This means that the larger the charge of the particle, the stronger the electric field will be at a distant point.

4. How does the distance between the charged particles affect the electric field at a distant point?

The electric field at a distant point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charged particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the electric field at a distant point decreases.

5. Can the electric field at a distant point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a distant point can be negative. This indicates that the force acting on a charged particle at that point is in the opposite direction of the electric field. The sign of the electric field depends on the relative charges of the particles involved.