Electric field between two separated metallic balls.

In summary, the question asks about the electric field between two isolated metallic balls with charges +Q and -Q, separated by a distance L. The balls have surface charges of sigma 1 and sigma 2 respectively, with the +Q ball having a larger radius than the -Q ball. The question is not a homework problem, but rather a result of academic curiosity.
klackeos
What is the electric field between two isolated metallic balls separated by a distance L, one having charge +Q and one having charge -Q?

(Ball one and ball two have a surface charge 'sigma 1' and 'sigma 2' respectively).

The +Q ball has a larger radius than the -Q ball.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi klackeos! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :wink:

This is not a 'HW problem.'

klackeos said:
This is not a 'HW problem.'
Really? Then why are you asking the question?

Pure academic curiosity, it is something I dreamed up. I just don't know PF's rules, I will post all questions in the HW section from now on. I don't want to start trouble.
Peace.

klackeos said:
Pure academic curiosity, it is something I dreamed up. I just don't know PF's rules, I will post all questions in the HW section from now on. I don't want to start trouble.
Peace.
No problem. The Homework Forums should be used for all homework or textbook-style exercises. Your question falls under this category since it is a standard undergraduate exercise. For more general questions you may use the scientific forums.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object exerts on other charged objects in its surrounding space. It is represented by a vector that indicates the direction and strength of the force that a charged object would experience if placed in that field.

How is the electric field between two separated metallic balls calculated?

The electric field between two separated metallic balls can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on one of the balls, and r is the distance between the two balls. This equation assumes that the balls are point charges and are not moving.

What factors affect the electric field between two separated metallic balls?

The electric field between two separated metallic balls is affected by the distance between the balls, the magnitude of the charges on the balls, and the medium between the balls. The electric field is stronger when the balls are closer together, when the charges on the balls are larger, and when the medium between the balls has a lower permittivity.

Can the electric field between two separated metallic balls be negative?

Yes, the electric field between two separated metallic balls can be negative. This would occur if the charges on the balls are of opposite signs and the direction of the electric field is towards the negative charge. However, the magnitude of the electric field would still be positive.

What practical applications does the electric field between two separated metallic balls have?

The electric field between two separated metallic balls has various practical applications, including in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control, in Van de Graaff generators for generating high voltages, and in capacitors for storing energy. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism and in the design of electronic devices.