Calculating Electric Field at the Midpoint of a Charged Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field at the middle point of a positively charged rod with length L. The solution involves using the equation E=KQ/L integral from -L/2 to L/2 (1/x^2)dx and results in an electric field of -4KQ/L^2. However, it is noted that the expected result of zero was not obtained and further discussion is had regarding the setup and the distance between the test charge and other charges.
madah12

Homework Statement

let say we have a positively charged rod with length L then what is the electrical field at the middle point of the rod

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the origin at the middle point
so dE=Kdq/r^2, dq = Q/L dx
E= kQ/L integral from -L/2 to L/2 (1/x^2)dx
=-KQ/L[2/L +2/L] =KQ/L (4/L) =-4KQ/L^2

well I expected it to be zero and it wasn't so should it be if so then what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field is defined as [tex]\mathbf{E} = \displaystyle \lim_{q_0 \to 0} \frac{\mathbf{F}}{q_0}[/tex].

The r2 term in the expression for dE is the distance between some charge element dQ and this test charge q0. You didn't take this into account in your setup.

well my test charge q_0 is at the mid point of the rod and so is my origin so the distance between it and any other charge is x.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged particle exerts on other charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How is electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In the CGS system, the unit is dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

4. How does distance affect electric field strength?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged objects. This means that as the distance between two charged particles increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the significance of electric field calculation?

Electric field calculation is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles and their interactions. It is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry to study and analyze the behavior of electrically charged systems.