Electric field / charged plates question.

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with an online assignment where they have to calculate the deflection of a drop in a specific amount of time and use that information to find the electric charge. They have provided their calculations and are seeking help as the website is not giving them feedback and their answer is considered incorrect. They have also checked their calculations but are still unsure of where they went wrong.
frasifrasi
I have this as an online assignment and think I have the wrong answer, but the site is telling me the result is wrong and takes a percentage off my grade each time i send a wrong submission.

I am just posting an image link because that way you guys can see the picture:

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenhunter003xp5qz5.png

Here is what I have so far:

t = length of plates / horizontal velocity

= 2.20 * 10-2 m / 18.0 m/s = 1.22 * 10-3 s

In the same time, the drop must deflect by 'd' distance along vertical direction. By second equation of motion

d = uy * t + (1/2) * ay * t2

uy = initial velocity along vertical direction = 0

ay = acceleration along vertical axis.

=> 0.300 * 10-3 = 0 * t + 0.5 * ay * (1.22 * 10-3)2

ay = 3.0 * 10-4 / 1.49 * 10-6 = 2.01 * 102 m/s2

F = q * E

by Newton's second law F = m * a

=> m * ay = q * E

q = m * ay / E = 1.0 * 10-11 * 2.01 * 102 / 7.90 * 104

q = 2.54 * 10-14 C

But this is wrong and the site won't give me a feedback. If anyone can help me out, I would be very thankful. : )

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:
ay = 3.0 * 10-4 / 1.49 * 10-6 = 2.01 * 102 m/s2

F = q * E

by Newton's second law F = m * a

=> m * ay = q * E

q = m * ay / E = 1.0 * 10-11 * 2.01 * 102 / 7.90 * 104

q = 2.54 * 10-14 C

But this is wrong and the site won't give me a feedback. If anyone can help me out, I would be very thankful. : )
Check your value for ay again.

I did, it is 2.01 *10^2. Sorry, when I pasted, all the carrot signs disappeared.

Is there anything wrong with any of the steps?

Thanks.

anyone?

Related to Electric field / charged plates question.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is a fundamental property of electrically charged particles and is represented by electric field lines.

2. How do charged plates create an electric field?

Charged plates create an electric field by having a difference in electric potential between them. This causes the charges on the plates to repel or attract each other, creating an electric field between the plates.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical property that describes the force experienced by an electric charge in a given region. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

4. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of force experienced by a unit charge placed in the electric field.

5. What is the significance of electric fields in everyday life?

Electric fields play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as electricity generation, electronic devices, and communication systems. They also play a vital role in nature, from the movement of charged particles in our atmosphere to the functioning of our nervous system.