Electric field due to charged rods

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a point P located a distance x from the perpendicular bisector of a charged vertical rod, with a condition that x is less than half the length of the rod. The homework equation provided is used to calculate the electric field, but further steps are needed, such as drawing a diagram and evaluating an integral over the length of the rod.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

If I have a charged vertical rod and a point P which is distanced x from the perpendicular bisector of it. How do I find the electric field at P if x/(/l/2) < 1, where l is the length of the rod

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the equation of an electric field due to a charged rod at P is:

[tex] \frac{\lambda L}{(4 \pi \epsilon_0) * sqrt(x^2 + L^2/4)} [/tex]

I don't know how to proceed further

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd draw a diagram and write a formula for a uniform line of charge and evaluate the integral over the range of the coordinates for the length of the rod.

with this equation since it involves a perpendicular bisector. Could you please provide some guidance?
To find the electric field at point P, we can use the equation you mentioned, which calculates the electric field due to a charged rod at a point x distance away from it. However, in this case, we need to take into account the distance from the perpendicular bisector of the rod, which is L/2. This distance will affect the electric field at point P.

To incorporate this distance, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between point P and the perpendicular bisector of the rod, which is sqrt(x^2 + L^2/4). This distance will be the new value for x in the electric field equation.

Therefore, the new equation for the electric field at point P will be:

\frac{\lambda L}{(4 \pi \epsilon_0) * sqrt(x^2 + L^2/4)}

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that an electric charge would experience in a given point in space. It is represented by a vector and is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

2. What is the electric field due to a charged rod?

The electric field due to a charged rod is the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle at any point in space surrounding the rod. It is determined by the charge on the rod, the distance from the rod, and the direction of the electric field lines.

3. How is the electric field due to a charged rod calculated?

The electric field due to a charged rod can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the rod, and r is the distance from the rod. The direction of the electric field can also be determined using the right hand rule.

4. How does the shape of the charged rod affect the electric field?

The shape of the charged rod does not affect the electric field. The electric field is determined by the charge on the rod and the distance from the rod, not its shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field due to charged rods?

The electric field due to charged rods is used in various technologies such as capacitors, electrostatic precipitators, and Van de Graaff generators. It is also involved in many biological processes, such as nerve impulses in the human body.