Electric field just beyond surface of proton

In summary, the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton, assuming it is a uniform ball of charge with a radius of 1.0x10^-15m, can be calculated using the equation E = (1/4piE0)(Q/r^2), where E0 is a constant of 8.85 x 10^-12, and Q is the charge of the proton. This result can also be derived using Gauss's law.
winterwind

Homework Statement

If a proton is considered a uniform ball of charge of radius 1.0x10-15m, what is the
electric field just beyond its surface?

Homework Equations

Gauss's law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I followed a problem in the book that found an equation for the electric field of a uniformly charged sphere. I treated the proton as a uniform sphere of charge, so that the same equation could be applied.

The equation was E = (1/4piE0)(Q/r^2)

*E0 is constant 8.85 x 10^-12.

So I just plugged in charge of electron and radius r of the proton.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks fine. The result can of course be derived from Gauss' law. Remember that a proton has the same magnitude of charge as an electron but different sign.

E = (1/4pi(8.85 x 10^-12))(1.6 x 10^-19 / (1.0 x 10^-15)^2)

E = 1.44 x 10^27 N/C

This value is extremely high and does not make sense. I think there may be an error in the book or in my calculation. I will double check my work and consult with my colleagues to see if they have any insights. It is also possible that the assumption of a uniform ball of charge for a proton is not accurate and may need to be reconsidered. Further research and experimentation may be needed to accurately determine the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton.

1. What is the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton?

The electric field just beyond the surface of a proton is the force per unit charge that would be experienced by a test charge placed at that point. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force exerted by the proton.

2. How is the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton calculated?

The electric field just beyond the surface of a proton can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. What is the direction of the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton?

The direction of the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton is always radially outward from the proton. This means that if a positive test charge is placed at that point, it would experience a repulsive force from the proton.

4. How does the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton compare to the electric field at a larger distance from the proton?

The electric field just beyond the surface of a proton is much stronger than the electric field at a larger distance from the proton. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases rapidly as distance from the source increases.

5. Why is the electric field just beyond the surface of a proton important?

The electric field just beyond the surface of a proton is important because it plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of charged particles in the vicinity of the proton. It also helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrically charged systems, such as atoms and molecules.