What can we determine about the electric field lines from two charges Q1 and Q2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a figure showing electric field lines from two charges and tries to determine the validity of statements A, B, C, D, and E. The group agrees that B is not true and explains that the field lines would go apart if both charges were the same sign. They also consider A and D as possible answers, with one person suggesting that at P2, the fields from the two charges cancel each other out. The conversation ends with a request for a hint and a thank you for the help.
jra_1574
Hello Everyone!
i need some guide and hints about this...
Here is the link for the picture...

aaaaaaaa.jpg

From the figure, the electric Field lines arising from two charges Q1 and Q2 are shown. From this drawing we can see that
A) The electric field could be zero at P2
B) Both Q1 and Q2 have the same sign
C) |Q1|>|Q2|
D) the electric field could be zero at P1
E) none of these is true

Something is telling me that B is not true... why?
the lines go from one to the other, if they were from the same sign the lines would go apart from one another...now C... we can't tell because we don't know which one is proton and which is the electron. Choice E i don't think so..
So it must be either A or D, but i don't know which one and why...
can anyone help me here please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree, B is not true. If the system contained a net charge- then there would be field lines that 'escape' from the 2 charges, whereas you can see that every field line is reabsorbed (Gauss's law).

can anyone give me a hint?

Assume one of them to be positive and the other, negative (since B is incorrect and none of them is zero charged). At P1 their fields add up, while at P2 they oppose each other. So, for some point lying in the region of P2, E will be zero.

Thanks for your Help!
I really appreciate it

1. What are electric field lines?

Electric field lines are used to visualize the direction and strength of an electric field. They show the path that a positive test charge would take if placed in an electric field, with the direction of the lines indicating the direction that the force would act on the charge.

2. How are electric field lines drawn?

Electric field lines are drawn by placing a series of small positive charges (test charges) in the electric field and then drawing lines that connect the points where the charges would be located. The density of the lines represents the strength of the electric field, with closer spacing indicating a stronger field.

3. What information can be determined from electric field lines?

Electric field lines provide information about the direction and strength of an electric field. They can also show the relative magnitude of the electric field at different points, with closer spacing indicating a stronger field. Additionally, the number of lines that intersect a given surface can be used to calculate the electric flux through that surface.

4. How do electric field lines change around charges?

Electric field lines radiate outwards from positive charges and converge towards negative charges. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is at that point. The lines also curve around charges, showing the direction of the electric field at different points around the charge.

5. Can electric field lines cross each other?

No, electric field lines cannot cross each other. This is because at the point where the lines would cross, there would be two different directions for the electric field, which is not physically possible. Electric field lines always repel each other, so they will never cross or merge with each other.