Electric Field MCQ Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the options presented in a homework problem involving electric field lines and Gauss's law. It is concluded that options a) and c) are correct, while option b) is not. The conversation also touches on the concept of convergence of electric field lines and the application of Gauss's law. It is ultimately determined that option c) is correct to three significant digits.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=f5cb82b3929718ca4405f41b542c0fd0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe a) and c) are correct options . Regarding option b) if I find charge q as function of radius , then option b) also seems correct . But if I think in terms of electric field lines then I am not sure about option b) .

Since electric field lines converge at the origin , then suppose if I take a sphere of radius 1 unit centered at say (4,4,4) ,then shouldn't the number of lines entering the sphere be same as that leaving the sphere . Applying Gauss's law the charge enclosed should be zero .

Is convergence of electric field same as convergence of electric field lines ?

Please help me in removing the doubt .

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Electric field.PNG
    Electric field.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=f5cb82b3929718ca4405f41b542c0fd0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe a) and c) are correct options . Regarding option b) if I find charge q as function of radius , then option b) also seems correct . But if I think in terms of electric field lines then I am not sure about option b) .

Since electric field lines converge at the origin , then suppose if I take a sphere of radius 1 unit centered at say (4,4,4) ,then shouldn't the number of lines entering the sphere be same as that leaving the sphere . Applying Gauss's law the charge enclosed should be zero .

Is convergence of electric field same as convergence of electric field lines ?

Please help me in removing the doubt .

Many Thanks

I would say the electric field points to the origin instead of converging towards it. The electric field is a function of the position, it can converge at a value when approaching the origin. This field converges to zero at the origin.
Can you write the electric field ##E(\vec r)## as function of the position vector ?
You are right, options a) and c) are correct. That also means c) is wrong.
b) is easy to answer if you use the differential form of Gauss theorem. ##Div \vec E = \rho(\vec r) /ε_0## where ρ is the charge density at a given position ##\vec r##.
It is not sure that the net flux is zero in case of a closed surface not centered around the origin.

Neither (c) nor (d) look right to me.
4πr2ε(100r) = Q ≠ 3e-9 and also ≠ 3e-13?

rude man said:
Neither (c) nor (d) look right to me.
4πr2ε(100r) = Q ≠ 3e-9 and also ≠ 3e-13?
Why? C is correct to 3 digits.

ehild said:
Why? C is correct to 3 digits.
Right. Quite a coincidence given r = 3 (cm.). But I interpreted the answer 3e-13 as absolute. Shoulkd have done the computation.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in the surrounding space. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged object. Any charged object will create an electric field in the space around it. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

3. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of force per unit charge exerted by the electric field on a test charge placed in the field.

4. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

The electric field and electric potential are closely related. The electric field is the gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of the steepest increase in electric potential. In other words, the electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in the electric field.

5. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. The electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.