1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field MCQ

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

?temp_hash=f5cb82b3929718ca4405f41b542c0fd0.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe a) and c) are correct options . Regarding option b) if I find charge q as function of radius , then option b) also seems correct . But if I think in terms of electric field lines then I am not sure about option b) .

Since electric field lines converge at the origin , then suppose if I take a sphere of radius 1 unit centered at say (4,4,4) ,then shouldn't the number of lines entering the sphere be same as that leaving the sphere . Applying Gauss's law the charge enclosed should be zero .

Is convergence of electric field same as convergence of electric field lines ?

Please help me in removing the doubt .

Many Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say the electric field points to the origin instead of converging towards it. The electric field is a function of the position, it can converge at a value when approaching the origin. This field converges to zero at the origin.
    Can you write the electric field ##E(\vec r)## as function of the position vector ?
    You are right, options a) and c) are correct. That also means c) is wrong.
    b) is easy to answer if you use the differential form of Gauss theorem. ##Div \vec E = \rho(\vec r) /ε_0## where ρ is the charge density at a given position ##\vec r##.
    It is not sure that the net flux is zero in case of a closed surface not centered around the origin.

4. Oct 17, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Neither (c) nor (d) look right to me.
    4πr2ε(100r) = Q ≠ 3e-9 and also ≠ 3e-13?

5. Oct 17, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why? C is correct to 3 digits.

6. Oct 17, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. Quite a coincidence given r = 3 (cm.). But I interpreted the answer 3e-13 as absolute. Shoulkd have done the computation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted