Electric Field minimum in a spherical capacitor.

In summary: Then, the electric field at a point is proportional to the product of Q and the potential difference at that point. It is also inversely proportional to the distance between the point and the center of the sphere.In summary, the electric potential difference between the plates of a spherical capacitor is kept constant. The electric field at the surface of the inner sphere will be a minimum if a = \frac{1}{2}b.
Kizaru

Homework Statement

The potential difference [tex]\Delta\phi[/tex] between the plates of a spherical capacitor is kept constant. Show that then the Electric Field at the surface of the inner sphere will be a minimum if [tex]a = \frac{1}{2}b[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}[/tex]
between the plates.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure. I know that
[tex]\Delta\phi = - \int E dl[/tex]
and that it is constant. But not really sure how to proceed from here. I think I need to find some sort of new equation for E, then find the minima? Answer in the back of the book is E = 4 (delta)(phi) / b

The answer latex didn't work, sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your line integral can be taken along a radial line, from a to b.

BTW, I would use [itex]\Delta\phi[/itex] instead of [itex]\nabla\phi[/itex] for the total potential difference. It's just a notational convention, but it is a very common one, and I was a little bit confused at first.

turin said:
Your line integral can be taken along a radial line, from a to b.

BTW, I would use [itex]\Delta\phi[/itex] instead of [itex]\nabla\phi[/itex] for the total potential difference. It's just a notational convention, but it is a very common one, and I was a little bit confused at first.

Err, yes I meant delta phi. Taking the line integral doesn't help with the solution. If I did take the line integral, I get the electric potential difference. But this isn't helpful because
[tex]\Delta\phi = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{1}{b}-\frac{1}{a}\right)[/tex]

And then how would I find the minimum of the electric field from there?

I already passed in the problem--probably done incorrectly. I used the mean value theorem to integrate over E from b to a, then divide by (b-a). Then I took the derivative with respect to a, and tried to set equal to 0 but there were no values for which that occurred. I did manage to get rid of one of the two terms when a = (1/2)b.

Consider Q as a function of a (or b, or their ratio).

What is an electric field minimum in a spherical capacitor?

An electric field minimum in a spherical capacitor is a point between the two conducting spheres where the electric field strength is at its lowest value. This occurs when the electric potential is equal on both spheres, resulting in a cancellation of the electric field.

How is the electric field minimum calculated in a spherical capacitor?

The electric field minimum can be calculated using the formula E = V/r, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the two spheres, and r is the distance between the two spheres. This formula is derived from Gauss's law.

Why is the electric field minimum important in a spherical capacitor?

The electric field minimum is important because it determines the maximum voltage that can be applied to the capacitor without causing electrical breakdown. It also helps to evenly distribute the electric field between the two spheres, ensuring efficient energy storage.

How does the distance between the spheres affect the electric field minimum?

The distance between the spheres has an inverse relationship with the electric field minimum. As the distance decreases, the electric field minimum increases. This means that a smaller distance between the spheres results in a higher potential difference and stronger electric field.

Can the electric field minimum be manipulated in a spherical capacitor?

Yes, the electric field minimum can be manipulated by changing the distance between the spheres or by adjusting the charge on the spheres. By increasing the distance between the spheres or decreasing the charge, the electric field minimum can be lowered, and vice versa.