1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of a Capacitor with asymmetric dielectric

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,
    if an question regarding a capacitor.
    As seen in the picture there is a capacitor with an asymmetric dielectric e1 and e2.

[​IMG]

My question:
    Who do I calculate the E-field of the capacitor?

thanks in advamce, help is appreciated!
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to homework help.

You generally need to show your own work in order for us to provide tutorial assistance. This is a tricky problem, so I'll offer one initial hint -- would it change the problem at all if you put in a floating metal plate at the green/beige boundary on the left and one on the green/beige boundary on the right? Try picturing that, and think about how capacitors in series add. Please show your work....

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3

Ok,
    I know that the problem is in the middle....

If I just take the the left and the right part I have two capacitors in series.. which isn't a problem at all... the D-Fields are equal througout the capacitor and the E-Fields "change" at the boundary.. no problem here...

Now I take the middle part...
    Depending on where I put the Gaussian surface I get inconsistent results... (see image 2)
    In order to make the inconsistancy disapear I place electrons(+ or -) on the vertical part of the boundry.

->that would leave me with three capacitors in parallel

Is that correct?

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would have split it in two. Why are you thinking of three?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?