Electric Field of a Capacitor with asymmetric dielectric

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Mikey789
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,
if an question regarding a capacitor.
As seen in the picture there is a capacitor with an asymmetric dielectric e1 and e2.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5999/kondensatorti8.jpg

My question:
Who do I calculate the E-field of the capacitor?

thanks in advamce, help is appreciated!
Mike
 
Attachments
  • kondensator.jpg
    kondensator.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 521
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to homework help.

You generally need to show your own work in order for us to provide tutorial assistance. This is a tricky problem, so I'll offer one initial hint -- would it change the problem at all if you put in a floating metal plate at the green/beige boundary on the left and one on the green/beige boundary on the right? Try picturing that, and think about how capacitors in series add. Please show your work...
 
berkeman said:
Thread moved to homework help.

You generally need to show your own work in order for us to provide tutorial assistance. This is a tricky problem, so I'll offer one initial hint -- would it change the problem at all if you put in a floating metal plate at the green/beige boundary on the left and one on the green/beige boundary on the right? Try picturing that, and think about how capacitors in series add. Please show your work...


Ok,
I know that the problem is in the middle...

If I just take the the left and the right part I have two capacitors in series.. which isn't a problem at all... the D-Fields are equal througout the capacitor and the E-Fields "change" at the boundary.. no problem here...

Now I take the middle part...
Depending on where I put the Gaussian surface I get inconsistent results... (see image 2)
In order to make the inconsistancy disapear I place electrons(+ or -) on the vertical part of the boundary.

->that would leave me with three capacitors in parallel

Is that correct?

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • kondensator2.jpg
    kondensator2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 510
  • kondensator3.jpg
    kondensator3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 519