Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Field of a Capacitor with asymmetric dielectric

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,
    if an question regarding a capacitor.
    As seen in the picture there is a capacitor with an asymmetric dielectric e1 and e2.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5999/kondensatorti8.jpg [Broken]

My question:
    Who do I calculate the E-field of the capacitor?

thanks in advamce, help is appreciated!
    Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to homework help.

You generally need to show your own work in order for us to provide tutorial assistance. This is a tricky problem, so I'll offer one initial hint -- would it change the problem at all if you put in a floating metal plate at the green/beige boundary on the left and one on the green/beige boundary on the right? Try picturing that, and think about how capacitors in series add. Please show your work....

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3

Ok,
    I know that the problem is in the middle....

If I just take the the left and the right part I have two capacitors in series.. which isn't a problem at all... the D-Fields are equal througout the capacitor and the E-Fields "change" at the boundary.. no problem here...

Now I take the middle part...
    Depending on where I put the Gaussian surface I get inconsistent results... (see image 2)
    In order to make the inconsistancy disapear I place electrons(+ or -) on the vertical part of the boundry.

->that would leave me with three capacitors in parallel

Is that correct?

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would have split it in two. Why are you thinking of three?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook