1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a cell

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The membrane surrounding a living cell consists of an inner and an outer wall that are separated by a small space. Assume that the membrane acts like a parallel plate capacitor in which the effective charge density on the inner and outer walls has a magnitude of 7.31 x 10-6 C/m2. (a) What is the magnitude of the electric field within the cell membrane? (b) Find the magnitude of the electric force that would be exerted on a potassium ion (K+; charge = +e) placed inside the membrane.

2. Relevant equations
    E=charge density/Eo
    F=(electric field)(Charge)
    E=q/(Eo)A

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to have missed out section three of the template: Attempted Solution...

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    for this problem i do not know how to start it, i believe that the 7.31 value is the charge density but i do not know what the other value Eo would be. once i can solve for the first part i will be able to calculate for the magnitude of the electric force

5. Feb 3, 2009 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eo or ε0 is the permitivity of free space, which is a constant one has to look up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?