Electric Field and Force in a Cell Membrane

In summary, the membrane surrounding a living cell acts like a parallel plate capacitor with a charge density of 7.31 x 10-6 C/m2 on the inner and outer walls. To find the magnitude of the electric field within the membrane, one can use the equation E=charge density/Eo. To find the magnitude of the electric force on a potassium ion placed inside the membrane, one can use the equation F=(electric field)(Charge). The value of Eo can be found by looking up the permitivity of free space.
nic4birds

Homework Statement

The membrane surrounding a living cell consists of an inner and an outer wall that are separated by a small space. Assume that the membrane acts like a parallel plate capacitor in which the effective charge density on the inner and outer walls has a magnitude of 7.31 x 10-6 C/m2. (a) What is the magnitude of the electric field within the cell membrane? (b) Find the magnitude of the electric force that would be exerted on a potassium ion (K+; charge = +e) placed inside the membrane.

Homework Equations

E=charge density/Eo
F=(electric field)(Charge)
E=q/(Eo)A

Physics news on Phys.org
nic4birds said:

Homework Statement

The membrane surrounding a living cell consists of an inner and an outer wall that are separated by a small space. Assume that the membrane acts like a parallel plate capacitor in which the effective charge density on the inner and outer walls has a magnitude of 7.31 x 10-6 C/m2. (a) What is the magnitude of the electric field within the cell membrane? (b) Find the magnitude of the electric force that would be exerted on a potassium ion (K+; charge = +e) placed inside the membrane.

Homework Equations

E=charge density/Eo
F=(electric field)(Charge)
E=q/(Eo)A
You seem to have missed out section three of the template: Attempted Solution...

for this problem i do not know how to start it, i believe that the 7.31 value is the charge density but i do not know what the other value Eo would be. once i can solve for the first part i will be able to calculate for the magnitude of the electric force

nic4birds said:
for this problem i do not know how to start it, i believe that the 7.31 value is the charge density but i do not know what the other value Eo would be. once i can solve for the first part i will be able to calculate for the magnitude of the electric force
Eo or ε0 is the permitivity of free space, which is a constant one has to look up.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. This force can be either attractive or repulsive and is caused by the interaction between charged particles.

2. How is the electric field of a cell defined?

The electric field of a cell is a measure of the electrical potential difference between the inside and outside of a cell. It is defined as the amount of force per unit charge that a charged particle experiences when placed in the vicinity of a cell.

3. How is the electric field of a cell measured?

The electric field of a cell can be measured using a variety of techniques, including voltage measurements, patch-clamp recordings, and fluorescent imaging. These methods allow researchers to visualize and quantify the changes in the electric field of a cell.

4. What factors can affect the electric field of a cell?

The electric field of a cell can be influenced by several factors, including the concentration and distribution of charged particles inside and outside the cell, the membrane permeability, and the presence of electrically active proteins and channels.

5. What is the significance of the electric field of a cell?

The electric field of a cell plays a crucial role in many biological processes, such as cell signaling, muscle contraction, and nerve impulse transmission. It also helps maintain the balance of ions and nutrients inside the cell, which is essential for its proper functioning.