Electric field of a linear charge on the axis of the line segment

In summary, the problem asks to find the electric field at a point located 7 meters away from a uniform line charge with a linear charge density of 5 nC/m extending from 0 m to 4 m. To solve this, the general expression for the electric field on the axis is needed, which can be found by considering the rod as consisting of small point charges. This approach does not involve the use of Gauss's Law.
MyAmpsGoTo11

Homework Statement

A uniform line charge of linear charge density 5 nC/m extends from x = 0 m to x = 4 m. Find the electric field at x = 7 m. Answer in units of N/C.

Homework Equations

8.85 × 10^−12 C2/(N · m^2) is the permittivity constant
8.98755 ×10^9 (N · m^2)/C^2 is Coulomb's constant
Gauss's Law surface integral of E da = Q/(permittivity constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the field of of a point on the SIDE of the same line segment is
kQ
(r square root of (r^2 +(L/2)^2))
Where r is the distance from the rod, and L the length of the rod, but my attempts are wrong.
I do not know how to find the field of a rod on the same axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MyAmpsGoTo11, welcome to PF. Gauss's law is irrelevant here. You need to find a general expression for the electric filed on the axis, then plug in the numbers. To do this, consider the rod as consisting of many small individual point charges dq, find the contribution dE to the electric field at the point of interest of just this charge, then add all such contributions, i.e. integrate over the length of the rod.

Ah! Awesome. I see. This online homework my teacher assigned is titled Gauss's Law, and I'm disappointed I didn't get it sooner. Thank you so much. :)

Related to Electric field of a linear charge on the axis of the line segment

What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a linear charge on the axis of a line segment?

The formula for calculating the electric field (E) of a linear charge (Q) on the axis of a line segment is: E = kQ / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2) and r is the distance from the linear charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

How does the distance from the linear charge affect the electric field?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance (r) from the linear charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. For example, if the distance is doubled, the electric field will decrease by a factor of 4.

What is the direction of the electric field at different points along the axis of the line segment?

The direction of the electric field is always radially outward or inward, depending on the sign of the linear charge. At any point on the axis of the line segment, the electric field will point away from a positive linear charge and towards a negative linear charge.

How do multiple linear charges on the axis of a line segment affect the electric field?

If there are multiple linear charges on the axis of a line segment, the electric fields from each charge will add together. If the charges are of the same sign, the electric fields will reinforce each other, resulting in a stronger overall electric field. If the charges are of opposite signs, the electric fields will cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker overall electric field.

What is the difference between the electric field of a linear charge and a point charge?

The electric field of a linear charge is calculated using the length of the line segment, while the electric field of a point charge is calculated using the distance from the point charge to the point where the electric field is being measured. Additionally, the electric field of a linear charge can vary along the axis, while the electric field of a point charge is constant at all points in space.