1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a point charge

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four point charges have the same magnitude of 3.1 x 10-12 C and are fixed to the corners of a square that is 5.3 cm on a side. Three of the charges are positive and one is negative. Determine the magnitude of the net electric field that exists at the center of the square.

2. Relevant equations

E=k*abs(q)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up the equation E=(8.99*10^9)(3.1*10^-12)/(3.75^2).

1.98*10^-3 is not correct

A post I was reading mentioned using the formula E=kq/r....which can be found here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=151884

Now, my book has a similar picture which mentions an E24 vector pointing at the negative point charge, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong...any help is welcome.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

The charges that are the same will off set each other. But the pair that are the opposite charge will have the effect of adding at the center. Sounds like the |ΣE| will be 2*|E|. Because the other 2 net to 0.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Convert the cm to meters.
    You have four E vectors - all the same magnitude but different directions - to add.
    Begin with a diagram! Symmetry may help!

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4
    you are correct delphi, its kind of embarassing, but i forgot to convert cm to m. but I am still getting the wrong answer.

After plugging the sides of my square into the Pythagorean theorem i get .075...but i want to divide that number by 2, giving me the .0375.

my equation now reads:

E=(8.99*10^9)(3.1*10^-12)/.0375^2

I got 19.82 N/C but the stupid wiley site tells me that I am wrong.

Is there something wrong with the way I am setting up my equation?

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You are apparently only calculating the |E| from one of the point charges.

They asked for the Σ of the E.

7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Looks okay (I disagree only in the 4th digit) but you aren't finished yet!
    LowlyPion gave you a huge hint on how to combine the FOUR vectors, each of which have this magnitude. Diagram. FOUR arrows beginning on the center point, pointing away from the positive charges and toward the negative charge.

8. Feb 19, 2009 #7
    Aha!!! Thank you very much!!! Problem solved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook