Electric Field, Potential, and Work at a Point

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the electric field, potential, and work done in a system of charges. It is important to consider the direction of the electric field and use symmetry to determine the correct values. The potential can be found by adding the scalar values of the fields, and the work done can be related to the potential and speed of the particle. These discussions help to develop a better understanding of the concepts of charges and fields.
Adeel Ahmad

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-7_12-5-20.png

upload_2016-5-7_12-5-50.png

Homework Equations

E = kq/r2
V = -∫ E ⋅ ds
W = -Vq

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I just summed up the electric fields: +ek/a2 +ek/a2 -ek/a2 so I get +ek/a2 as a result. Not sure if this is correct since -e has a y component so I was thinking to use sin but not sure which angle to use.

b) i would just plug in the electric field from part a and plug in a as the distance, so V = -Ea

c) W = -Vq, get the potential from b and for q get the sum of charges. Not sure if that's a correct approach.

d) I'm not sure what equation to use for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adeel Ahmad said:
a) I just summed up the electric fields: +ek/a2 +ek/a2 -ek/a2 so I get +ek/a2 as a result. Not sure if this is correct since -e has a y component so I was thinking to use sin but not sure which angle to use.

b) i would just plug in the electric field from part a and plug in a as the distance, so V = -Ea

c) W = -Vq, get the potential from b and for q get the sum of charges. Not sure if that's a correct approach.

d) I'm not sure what equation to use for this.

a. electric field intensity is a vector - so you must put in the direction of the fields at P due to charges -use the symmetry of the figure;
as your charges -e are equidistant from the point p. so get a correct value of the field at P

b. if you know the field you can also calculate the potential due to the charges -these are scalars therefore it will be added
c. what is the condition that charges will be bound or fly apart?
d. calculate the work done in bringing an unit positive charge from infinity to the point p -is it related to potential at that point.?
can work done by the field related to speed of the particle ?
some questions are to develop one'concept about charges and fields.

Likes Adeel Ahmad

Related to Electric Field, Potential, and Work at a Point

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges in its vicinity. It is represented by a vector, with direction pointing towards the direction of force that a positive charge would experience in the field. The magnitude of the electric field at a point is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point.

2. How is electric potential defined?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. It is defined as the work done per unit charge in moving a test charge from infinity to that point, against the electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. This means that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing electric potential. In other words, the electric field is the force per unit charge experienced by a charge placed at a point, while the electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at that point.

4. How is work related to electric potential?

Work is defined as the force applied over a distance. In the case of electric potential, the force is the electric force and the distance is the separation between two charges. The work done in moving a charge from one point to another is equal to the change in electric potential energy between those two points.

5. How is electric potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy stored in a system of charges due to their configuration in an electric field. The electric potential energy at a point is the work done in bringing a charge from infinity to that point against the electric field. Therefore, electric potential energy is directly related to electric potential, as it is the potential energy per unit charge at a point.