Electric field problem

In summary, there is an equilateral triangle with sides of 66 m that has charges of +5, -5, and -9.3 \mu C at its vertices, and a charge of +18.6 \mu C at the midpoint on its side between the +5 and -5 charges. The problem asks for the magnitude of the x-component of the electric field at point P, which is a second equilateral triangle with +5 \mu C and -5 \mu C. After calculations, the x-component is found to be 14.12, but this is incorrect. The problem also asks for the magnitude of the y-component of the electric field at point P, which is found
Punchlinegirl
An equilateral triangle with sides 66 m has charges +5 [tex] \mu C [/tex], -5 [tex] \mu C [/tex], and -9.3 [tex] \mu C [/tex] at its vertices and charge + 18.6 [tex] \mu C [/tex] at the midpoint on its side between the vertices with charges [tex] +5 and -5 \mu C [/tex]. What is the magnitude of the x-component of the electric field at point P, the point forming a second equilateral triangle with +5 [tex] \mu C and -5 \mu C [/tex]? Answer in units of N/C.
Sorry I don't have a picture but it's 2 equilateral triangles that look like a mirror image of each other.
First I drew a picture of what the electric fields would look like. The -9.3 and 18.6 [tex]\mu C [/tex] would not have a y-component, so I ignored those for now.
so I found that
k * 5 x 10^-6/ 66^2 * 33/66 = 5.17
and k * -5 x 10^-6 / 66^2 *57.2/66 = 8.95 (since it's absolute value of the charge)
So E_x= 14.12... which isn't right.. help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong... the second part of the problem asks for the magnitude of the y-component of the electric field at point P.
E_1 = k * 5 x 10^-6 / 66^2 * 57.2/66 = 8.93
E_2 = 8.93 (same set up as E_1)
E_3 = k * 18.6 x 10^-6 / 57.2^2 = -51.2, since the field would be downward
E_4 = k * 9.3 x 10^-6 / 114.4^2 = 6.40
8.93+8.93-51.2+6.40= -26.94
This isn't right.. can someone help me?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key information and variables given. The equilateral triangle has sides of 66 m, with charges of +5, -5, and -9.3 \mu C at the vertices, and +18.6 \mu C at the midpoint between the vertices with +5 and -5 \mu C. We are also asked to find the magnitude of the x-component of the electric field at point P, which forms a second equilateral triangle with +5 \mu C and -5 \mu C.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for electric field strength, E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

First, we can calculate the electric field at point P due to the charges at the vertices of the first equilateral triangle. Using the equation above, we get:

E1 = k(5 x 10^-6 C)/ (66 m)^2 = 5.17 N/C

Similarly, for the second equilateral triangle, we can calculate the electric field at point P due to the charges at the vertices:

E2 = k(-5 x 10^-6 C)/ (66 m)^2 = -5.17 N/C

Now, we need to take into account the electric field at point P due to the charge at the midpoint between the +5 \mu C and -5 \mu C charges. To do this, we can use the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point due to multiple charges is the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point.

The electric field at point P due to the charge at the midpoint is given by:

E3 = k(18.6 x 10^-6 C)/ (33 m)^2 = 14.12 N/C

Since this charge is located along the x-axis, the y-component of the electric field due to this charge will cancel out.

Now, we can find the total electric field at point P by adding the individual electric fields together:

E_total = E1 + E2 + E3 = 5.17 N/C - 5.17 N/C + 14.12 N/C = 14.12 N/C

Therefore, the magnitude of

1. What is an electric field problem?

An electric field problem refers to a situation where there is a distribution of electric charges and the resulting forces and interactions between them. It involves the study of electric fields, which are regions of space around electrically charged particles where other charged particles will experience a force.

2. How is an electric field problem solved?

Electric field problems are typically solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law, which describe the relationship between electric charges and the resulting electric field. These equations allow for the calculation of the electric field strength and direction at any given point in space.

3. What are some real-life applications of electric field problems?

Electric field problems are essential in understanding and designing various technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and capacitors. They are also crucial in understanding the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.

4. How does the presence of conductors affect electric field problems?

Conductors, which are materials that allow electrons to flow freely, can significantly influence electric field problems. In the presence of conductors, the electric field lines are distorted, and the electric field strength is reduced within the conductor. This phenomenon is known as shielding.

5. What are some common misconceptions about electric field problems?

One common misconception about electric field problems is that the electric field is the same as an electric current. While electric current is the flow of charged particles, the electric field is a force that acts on these particles. Another misconception is that electric field lines represent the actual movement of charged particles, when in reality, they are simply a visual representation of the strength and direction of the electric field.